Does Anyone Know...

Sugar Work By preciosa225 Updated 27 May 2010 , 9:52pm by VeryVera

preciosa225 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
preciosa225 Posted 21 May 2010 , 7:07pm
post #1 of 14

How to restore the shine to molded chocolate?

Please help.....

13 replies
luvlaugh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvlaugh Posted 21 May 2010 , 8:50pm
post #2 of 14

Are you using candy melts or regular chocolate?

preciosa225 Posted 21 May 2010 , 9:18pm
post #3 of 14

I'm using candy melts

luvlaugh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvlaugh Posted 21 May 2010 , 9:26pm
post #4 of 14

It should have come out shiny after it set. Maybe use some luster dust? Or a little bit of oil to shine it a bit? I'm not totally sure but you could try it. I have never had this problem with candy melts.

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 21 May 2010 , 9:26pm
post #5 of 14

You can try rubbing the pieces with a tiny bit of cocoa butter....

preciosa225 Posted 22 May 2010 , 2:29am
post #6 of 14

Thanks I will try it. It comes out shiny but then I had to rub it to finish up the seams and it got all dull and ugly looking. I tried rubbing Crisco into it but its still dull and ugly. I will try the cocoa butter tomorrow.

Thanks.

luddroth Posted 22 May 2010 , 3:11pm
post #7 of 14

Let us know how it goes -- it's worked for me on tempered chocolate, so I'm thinking it would work on the candy melts, but haven't tried that.... good luck

preciosa225 Posted 23 May 2010 , 2:17am
post #8 of 14

Ok, where do you buy the cocoa butter? icon_redface.gif I tried in the supermarket and in the specialty food store (Whole Foods) but I couldn't find any.

luddroth Posted 23 May 2010 , 2:10pm
post #9 of 14

Hmmm. Yeah, it's a specialty item. Best bet is to try on-line -- baking supplies websites and chocolate suppliers. I'm sorry -- you're in a time crunch, right? Does the luster dust idea mentioned above work for you? When my molded (tempered) chocolates get streaks from temperature variations, I've saved them by applying lustre dust -- gold on cark chocolate is really pretty -- but it depends on what your decorating project is. Wish I could be more help (and I'm really sorry I wasted your time looking for cocoa butter -- I should have guessed that you might not have it on hand.)

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 23 May 2010 , 2:32pm
post #10 of 14

I hate to make you run out again, but do you have confectioners glaze? If you're near a cake supply store, they will most likely have it. Just brush it on and let it dry. Not only will it restore the shine, but the chocolate will be so much easier to handle because the glaze forms kind of a protective barrier.

Don't apply it too thick or you will feel a bit of a 'skin' when the chocolate is bitten into.

luddroth Posted 23 May 2010 , 4:35pm
post #11 of 14

Diane, what is confectioners' glaze made of, do you know?

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 23 May 2010 , 5:10pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by luddroth

Diane, what is confectioners' glaze made of, do you know?

Yes, I do know. Are you sure you want to know? Okey dokey...

Confectioners glaze is made from secretions of the lac beetle (which isn't really a beetle). The insect converts sap from trees into a resin. You'll be relieved to know that the bug is not harmed in any way. It's similar to collecting honey from bees.

It's completely edible and used by many manufacturers to give their candies a shiny coat.

luddroth Posted 23 May 2010 , 10:22pm
post #13 of 14

You are serious!!! Beetle goo?! My, I had no idea. I'm going to check it out. Too strange. You gotta wonder who got the idea to try that stuff.....

VeryVera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VeryVera Posted 27 May 2010 , 9:52pm
post #14 of 14

Try wearing thin cotton gloves when handling chocolates after they set to protect from the warmth of your hands. Trim seams with a tiny sharp paring knife not by rubbing then. In any case, most people won't notice the shine is gone.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%