Help! Huge Bubble In Fondant Covered Cake!

Decorating By TPayne827 Updated 23 May 2010 , 4:31pm by ayerim979

TPayne827 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPayne827 Posted 20 May 2010 , 9:12pm
post #1 of 7

I am new to fondant and was asked to do a cake for a friend for a baby shower. I am supposed to deliver it tomorrow afternoon. I got the cake covered with fondant today. I let it sit for about 30 minutes while I colored fondant for the decorations. I decorated it and about an hour later I noticed that it had a large air bubble on the side. icon_mad.gif Mostly noticeable to the touch. I poked 2-3 holes in it with a straight pin and took a little fondant off at the bottom edge and tried to smooth it down. It seemed to work but now it looks like it is full of air again! icon_cry.gif The cake is covered in a peanut butter buttercream icing and the fondant just doesn't seem to want to stick to the buttercream there. I don't have time to redo the cake so how can I fix it so the air bubble won't come back? Or since it is only noticeable to the touch, should I just leave it alone?

6 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 20 May 2010 , 10:07pm
post #2 of 7

Sounds like you tried to cover the cake with fondant too soon. I've found that I need to let my crumbcoated cake settle for at least two hours before the final layer of fondant. This helps with the filling bulges that can happen as well as the gas bubbles. In fact, the only time I've had gas bubbles is when I have rushed this process. So I bake on Wednesdays, freeze my torted cake layers and then fill and crumbcoat while still frozen and then after two hours I can do the final layer. Any settling that still needs to be done and any moisture that may be coming off a too cold cake can cause the bulges and bubbles. As for this time...I say poke a hole in it with a pin and then leave it alone...smoothing can sometimes take an unnoticeable gas bubble and make it a wrinkled gas bubble.

TPayne827 Posted 21 May 2010 , 1:46am
post #3 of 7

Thanks so much! I guess I will just leave it alone. I think the more I mess with it the more it will make it obvious that something isn't right. I had read that you should apply fondant just after removing the cakes from the fridge. Apparently that is my problem. I should have let the cake get closer to room temp before applying the fondant. I am self taught so I'm learning as i go!

Image[/img]

eperales0411 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eperales0411 Posted 21 May 2010 , 2:01am
post #4 of 7

Honestly, I can't tell where your "bubble" is. Good Job!!!

TPayne827 Posted 23 May 2010 , 3:59pm
post #5 of 7

I finished the cake. I got most of the air out of the bubble without messing up the cake. It was only noticeable if you touched it. My customer loved it and that's all that matters! icon_biggrin.gif Thanks for the help!

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 23 May 2010 , 4:12pm
post #6 of 7

It's adorable! Many of us here, me included, are self taught and have learned the hard way. I think that this cake is going to go over big time and no one will know the trouble it was! LOL! Cat

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 23 May 2010 , 4:31pm
post #7 of 7

I think your cake is adorable and it looks very good. And like catharper said.
Alost of us are also self taught and sadly have /do go thrue the same things.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%