Did I Just Imagine That It Exists? :(

Decorating By aviendha Updated 20 May 2010 , 1:52am by Loucinda

aviendha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aviendha Posted 19 May 2010 , 8:12pm
post #1 of 11

I know that once upon a time I saw an aritificial floral spray to use as a decoration on cakes. I thought it was made by Wilton. It was... maybe 8 inches long, maybe 12, I don't know since I didn't really pay attention to it.

It was pale, white or ivory, and the flowers were probably roses - not sure about that. There were leaves on it too... it was all wired and could be bent any which way. It could be colored nicely with dust & such.

I swear I have seen this thing. I don't know if the flowers were silk... I think they were some sort of cloth... I don't think they were gumpaste... but again, I didn't pay a lot of attention...

But now I can't find one anywhere. I am making a wedding cake for a friend (and thankfully have several weeks to search) but she wants this sort of artificial flower spray on her cake and I seriously can't even find a hint of this thing anywhere online.

Did I just imagine it? Dream it? Does it exist?

10 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 19 May 2010 , 8:57pm
post #2 of 11

wilton had something like this a few years ago. If you have any of the old yearbooks look in those, maybe 06 or 07 not sure when but they had flowers and they had a bow too. Don't know if they still make them.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 19 May 2010 , 9:09pm
post #3 of 11

yeah, they were supposed to be gumpaste I think but looked more like paper almost!

You didn't imagine it!!

CakesbyOma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyOma Posted 19 May 2010 , 9:11pm
post #4 of 11

Why not head out to Michaels' and make your own? Just pick up the flowers you want, some floral tape and a good wire cutter (unless you have one) and your set. You just put two flowers together, wrap the tape around them and keep adding flowers, using the tape to secure them. You can bend most of these flowers anyway you want and then you could also match the bride's bouquet if she wants...

CrazyCatLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrazyCatLady Posted 19 May 2010 , 9:19pm
post #5 of 11

Wilton 12 in. Floral Cake Decorations


dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 19 May 2010 , 9:42pm
post #6 of 11

check on ebay... they might have it....

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 19 May 2010 , 10:13pm
post #7 of 11

wonder why they discontinued it?

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 19 May 2010 , 10:36pm
post #8 of 11

Wow, that looks like something that could have been actually useful unlike a lot of their cr*p.

aviendha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aviendha Posted 20 May 2010 , 12:10am
post #9 of 11

oh thank you all - I was almost sure I was going crazy! I did every kind of search online I could think of and couldn't find it; I seriously was thinking that I'd made it up in my head!

CrazyCatLady - I swear I looked over every square inch of Wilton.com; you are amazing!

I'm sad it's discontinued. I remember thinking when I first saw it that I would rather just make gumpaste or fondant flowers instead of using that... but now my friend wants that exact sort of thing, and it would save some time...

Oh well, I guess I'll be making one. Thanks for the advice, CakesByOma icon_smile.gif

and yes, dalis4joe, I'll search eBay, and anywhere else I can think of, now that I have the name of it; maybe that'll help icon_smile.gif

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 20 May 2010 , 12:17am
post #10 of 11

Keep an eye on ebay and maybe check etsy out too, they have a lot of pretty crafty stuff there too.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 20 May 2010 , 1:52am
post #11 of 11

You can buy floral sprays from places like wholesalesugarflowers.com - not sure if that is what you are looking for or not though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%