Glossy Mmf

Baking By bvwilliams Updated 20 May 2010 , 4:48pm by Donnawb

bvwilliams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bvwilliams Posted 19 May 2010 , 2:21am
post #1 of 9

I need help!!! I have to make a graduation cake for this coming weekend. The school colors are blue and white. I bought some blue pre-made fondant but the color is too bright--almost neon blue. So I decided to make some MMF and color it myself.

This was my first time making MMF and I thought it came out pretty good until I decide to cut out some of the accessory pieces so they could start drying. Well they've been drying for 2 days and still aren't completely hard and have a glossy sheen to them. Now, I really nervous that when I cover the cake, it will also me shiny or glossy and that's not the look I want for this particular cake. I want it to have a mat finish. Should I add more powder sugar? If I do, will it make the fondant stiff? I don't want it to tear when I roll it out or start cracking.

What did I do wrong and how can I fix it before this Friday?

Thanks for any help.
[/b]

8 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 19 May 2010 , 4:11am
post #2 of 9

Since the blue you ordered is too bright can you mix the mmf with it to get the correct color? I don't use mmf because I've never had good results with it. I also didn't like how shiny (glossy) it looked.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 19 May 2010 , 7:28am
post #3 of 9

Put cornstarch on your work surface before you roll out the mmf. Don't use crisco or you will get that glossy look. If you look in my photos, all my fondant is MMF but it isn't glossy.

Don't add more sugar if the consistency is right. MMF is already tricky when it's colored a deep color and you don't need it so dry that it cracks when you put it on the cake.

Why didn't you try adding some more color to the premade fondant? If you're trying for navy, adding a touch of black to it will help.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 19 May 2010 , 7:39am
post #4 of 9

plus, fondant takes a long time to dry hard - gumpaste is much faster, and stronger, although what you use will depend on what your making or if people are going to eat it.
xx

SandraL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraL Posted 19 May 2010 , 10:00pm
post #5 of 9

My MMf is never shiny when i apply or make decor out of it? It could be the recipe you are using

bvwilliams Posted 20 May 2010 , 3:33am
post #6 of 9

Thanks, everyone. I didn't add black to the store bought fondant because I didn't think it would make the correct blue I needed. But I think I will give it a try anyway.

I think I used too much Crisco with my MMF. I used it on my hands, the work surface and put some on the Saran Wrap that I wrapped it in before putting it in the refrigerator. The consistency seems fine, but I'll know for sure when I roll our enough to cover a 9x13 sheet cake. I hope it doesn't tear. But I still hate the shine and I think the Crisco did it. So there is no recovery from this? I've already matched the color perfectly, but I just hate the shine.

I'll try the cornstarch and see if that helps but won't that leave it looking too powdery on the surface and won't it be hard to brush or wipe it off?

You're right, I should have used gumpaste instead of fondant for my accessories. I guess you live and you learn. icon_redface.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 20 May 2010 , 9:08am
post #7 of 9

Once you let the fondant rest and knead it, it won't be glossy. It needs that crisco or it would be stuck to your hands and counter instead of wrapped and resting in a bag icon_biggrin.gif

I use a pastry brush to put the cornstarch on my vinyl mat. I also dust some on top of the fondant. Once I have the piece rollled out to the size I need, I rub my hands over it until it's smooth and the excess cornstarch has disappeared. That works if you're picking up your fondant, but won't work if you pick up the mat and flip the fondant over the cake.

bvwilliams Posted 20 May 2010 , 4:30pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks, Texas_Rose. I'll try that with the cornstarch.

Donnawb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnawb Posted 20 May 2010 , 4:48pm
post #9 of 9

Does anyone have problems with MMF color fading? When I color my MMF, sometimes it fades if the sun or bright light hits it. It's mostly pink colors that fade.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%