I May Never Bake In My Kitchen Again!

Decorating By tmac670 Updated 19 May 2010 , 4:15am by pastrygirl2009

tmac670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmac670 Posted 18 May 2010 , 6:25pm
post #1 of 7

My daughter secured a commercial kitchen at her old high school for us to make an awesome band banquet cake. I am soooo spoiled. OH the room- the cooler, the freezer, the oven, the COUNTER SPACE! It made the work go so much faster! All I can think is that I never want to bake another cake in my home kitchen again.

6 replies
casme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
casme Posted 18 May 2010 , 11:01pm
post #2 of 7

wouldn't it be great if every city had a commercial kitchen they rented out for bakers? I'd sign up.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 18 May 2010 , 11:31pm
post #3 of 7

Are you allowed to use it without a food service staff person present? I work in a school and no is allowed to use the kitchen unless a food service worker is present (state regs) and that is to the tune of $25 an hour!

tmac670 Posted 19 May 2010 , 12:49am
post #4 of 7

My daughter is serve safe and safe staff certified both state and nationally. This is not the school cafeteria- it is the commercial foods classroom for the culinary program at her former high school (she was a culinary student in the program- the best baker in 6 counties at competition). Also the chef (teacher) of the program is present.
He sends back students and we demo whatever we are doing at the moment.
It is great, because teaching is a real passion of mine any way. Since the chef is more savory side- he appreciates that the students are getting exposed to this side of the culinary arts. The students are very receptive to seeing the cake take shape- yesterday we baked and made icing and fondant. Today we leveled, filled, iced and smoothed cakes and worked on some of the gumpaste and fondant modeling. Tomorrow we cover with fondant and do more modeling.
Funny enough- the cake we are making is for their rival school (because my marching band son goes to school with the better band program)

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 19 May 2010 , 1:46am
post #5 of 7

that's awesome... I know that savory chefs are scared when it comes to cakes.... so this must be super fun for them to watch and learn also.... and you must be super proud of your daughter!!!

icon_smile.gif

tmac670 Posted 19 May 2010 , 2:01am
post #6 of 7

It is true- I am such a proud mom- She is a full time student at Florida Culinary Institute in the Baking and Pastry program and she works at a fine dining restaurant as the baker. She is always such an inspiration to me because she knows what she wants and won't let any thing get in her way. And she does it all with a smile. I don't even know what I want to be when I grow up yet! lol

pastrygirl2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrygirl2009 Posted 19 May 2010 , 4:15am
post #7 of 7

awwwww. how sweet. did you happen to mention she is THE ONLY BAKER.... HEAR THAT CHEF KEVIN I WANT AN ASSISTANT!! LMAO. I love you too momma and it was no big deal. this cake is gunna be epic!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%