Duff Fondant

Decorating By phimubabie Updated 26 May 2010 , 12:19am by Mom23Angels

phimubabie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
phimubabie Posted 18 May 2010 , 5:58pm
post #1 of 17

I have used duff fondant a couple of times now and was wondering what everybody else thought about it. I think it definately tastes better than satin ice, but find it a little soft and oily. I was also wondering if anybody had tried the new cricut and what they thought about it.
Thanks.

16 replies
UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 18 May 2010 , 6:04pm
post #2 of 17

i love both of them! i like the softer fondant and think it tastes great as well. i believe it's fondarific, so you can go to their site if you want to order more bang for your buck. and i love my cricut cake...it's already saved me hours upon hours of work!!!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 18 May 2010 , 9:46pm
post #3 of 17

As mentioned Duff Fondant is Fondarific brand with his picture on it.

As for the Cricut Cake, if you do a search of the forums you will find quite a few topics already about it. Different reviews and other things people have done with it.

btw, welcome to CC, you'll find a wealth of information here.

candycakes2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candycakes2010 Posted 19 May 2010 , 12:28pm
post #4 of 17

I bought some Duff Fondant and it says it was made by Satin Ice on it !!

BumbleBakeShop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BumbleBakeShop Posted 19 May 2010 , 12:39pm
post #5 of 17

I would LOVE to hear more about the Duff products. I wanted to buy everything I saw when I was at Michaels yesterday but didn't want to buy something and then not like it. Can't wait to hear some more reviews!

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 19 May 2010 , 12:50pm
post #6 of 17

never used duff fondant.... want to try it though.... as far as my cricut cake....

LOVIN IT!!!! it's amazing... and I have just tried it with gumpaste and fondant.... today I will try it with icing sheets and sugar veil.... I was able to get the hang of it right away by reading the posts here...

PS.... all you have to keep in mind is: P2 S3 (Pressure 2 / Speed 3) with that, your paste will not get tangled or messed up....

AXOCutie143 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AXOCutie143 Posted 19 May 2010 , 1:08pm
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalis4joe

never used duff fondant.... want to try it though.... as far as my cake....

LOVIN IT!!!! it's amazing... and I have just tried it with gumpaste and fondant.... today I will try it with icing sheets and sugar veil.... I was able to get the hang of it right away by reading the posts here...

PS.... all you have to keep in mind is: P2 S3 (Pressure 2 / Speed 3) with that, your paste will not get tangled or messed up....

How thin were you rolling your fondant/gumpaste on P2 S3? I had my pressure on medium or high and it was still dragging some designs (especially the filigrees)

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 19 May 2010 , 3:39pm
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by candycakes2010

I bought some Duff Fondant and it says it was made by on it !!

hmm... interesting. I haven't seen a container myself yet but wouldn't be surprised. I was just passing along what I had seen others say. First I heard it was Satin Ice, then I heard it was Fondarific. Thanks for the clarification.

Cassie1686 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cassie1686 Posted 24 May 2010 , 9:04pm
post #9 of 17

I thought the Duff fondant was really different from anything else. I really don't think it's fondarific. It really tastes good, it tastes like buttercream. My only problem was that it was so soft. I added about a cup of powdered sugar and I still could have used more. I would definitely use it again, even though it's so expensive, because it tasted sooo good.

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 24 May 2010 , 9:24pm
post #10 of 17

On a recent episode of his show, he mentioned Fondarific very specifically. Nothing about his line of products, but just how great Fondarific was, and how easy it was to use.

dreamcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamcakesmom Posted 24 May 2010 , 9:37pm
post #11 of 17

I was at the craft store this week and they had just changed the cake section to include all the duff products. I remember seeing on episodes of his show tubs of satin ice around the bakery so I wouldn;t be surprised if he teamed with them for his products. Think I will try his fondant on my next cake.

KTB4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KTB4 Posted 25 May 2010 , 1:15am
post #12 of 17

I've used it and like it. But then again I can't get Satin Ice or Fondarific locally so anything is better than Wilton. My containers say nothing on them though abotu who makes it.

dm321 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dm321 Posted 25 May 2010 , 2:34am
post #13 of 17

Ive only been decorating cakes as a hobby for a few months now. So although my knowledge is quite petite, my opinions are rather ample During my Wilton courses at Michaels, I worked solely with Wilton Fondant. Needless to say, I wasnt a fan taste-wise. So, for my first wedding cake, I decided to give Satin Ice a try. It smelled amazing & tasted just as good.

Ive continued to use Wilton for practice items since its readily available at Michaels, (40% coupons!). And Ive continued to use Satin Ice for real cakes.

I recently made a graduation cake for someone whose school colors are purple & gold. Since Ive read so much about the color purple being so finicky I decided Id try Duffs purple fondant; its just the right color!

I wanted to make a purple graduation cap out of gumpaste ~ so I added the right amount of gum-tex to the right amount of Duff Purple Fondant Wasnt getting the desired result, so I added more gum-tex before shaping my pieces. After several hours, they did not appear to be setting up. Now, I realize it may take more than several hours but at this point, its been several days The cake has been delivered, devoured, digested. And still those grad cap pieces remain on my drying racks just as flaccid as limp noodles.

.IMO, I dont think the Duff Fondant is Satin Ice It doesnt feel, smell, or act in any way like it. But then again, Im just a hobbyist (with oversized opinions!). icon_lol.gif

~diem

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 25 May 2010 , 2:44am
post #14 of 17

diem, enjoyed your post- keep 'em coming!

tlreetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tlreetz Posted 25 May 2010 , 2:48am
post #15 of 17

dm321.....you are so funny! Have a great one and I'll be talking to you very soon!

Rosey1120 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosey1120 Posted 26 May 2010 , 12:01am
post #16 of 17

Just purchased Duff's black buttercream fondant. No where does it say Satin Ice or Fondarific. It's distributed by Gartner Studios, Inc. in Stillwater, MN. It also says "patent pending". The Michaels here just started selling Duff's products so maybe he started out with his image on Satin Ice or Fondarific and he's got his own fondant now?

Mom23Angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom23Angels Posted 26 May 2010 , 12:19am
post #17 of 17

There have been a few other posts on this topic. The wholesale Duff product is manufactured by Satin Ice. The retail Duff product (the one sold at Michael's) is made by Fondarific. A rep from Fondarific posted on one of the other threads and confirmed this.

It doesn't say "Fondarific" on the tub at Michael's, it just has the name of the distributor/marketer (Gartner). Some other folks have had Duff tubs that say "Satin Ice" but I'm guessing those are the wholesale products from DecoPac.

For those of us who can't get fondant locally (other than Wilton), this is great. With a coupon it's only about $5/pound, which is a good price for Fondarific (plus no shipping which is so expensive). It's nice to have something reliable and tasty available locally - as a back-up if nothing else.

HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%