Fondant Disaster

Decorating By pinklady78 Updated 20 May 2010 , 10:54pm by pinklady78

pinklady78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklady78 Posted 18 May 2010 , 4:10pm
post #1 of 15

I have had the toughest time covering my cakes with MMF. Anyone have any tips. Fondant seems to crack and tear as soon as i put it on cake. Please help!

14 replies
2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 18 May 2010 , 4:17pm
post #2 of 15

Sounds like your fondant is too dry. I don't use MMF, I use MFF, and that's what happens when MFF is too dry.

KristasKakes78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristasKakes78 Posted 18 May 2010 , 4:21pm
post #3 of 15

I never use mmf, it always gives me trouble.I use Michelle Fosters recipe,it's great and I have never had it crack on me.

SweetMelissa2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMelissa2007 Posted 18 May 2010 , 4:21pm
post #4 of 15

I agree. Add less powdered sugar.

CakesbyOma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyOma Posted 18 May 2010 , 4:28pm
post #5 of 15

I've had the same problem the first time I made MMF. I live in a rather dry climate, so next time I made it, I kneaded it with lots of Crisco handy. That helped a lot, also, I use cornstarch when I roll it out. I found PS to be too dry. Hope this helps!

careylynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
careylynn Posted 18 May 2010 , 4:28pm
post #6 of 15

Are you letting it rest for at least 6 hrs? overnight is best. I have used mmf, mff, and satin ice. mmf has given me the lest amount of problems covering. The problem I have with mmf is with decorations. It's too soft. That is why I started using mff or satin ice. I use Rhonda's ultimate recipe for the mmf.

Jenny0730 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenny0730 Posted 18 May 2010 , 5:06pm
post #7 of 15

Make sure you let it sit and cool and then make sure you knead it really well before you start rolling it out. I learned the hard way that it has to be well kneaded.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 18 May 2010 , 5:13pm
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristasKakes78

I never use mmf, it always gives me trouble.I use Michelle Fosters recipe,it's great and I have never had it crack on me.

I agree. I've never had good results with MMF but I do love Michele's receipe. That stuff is awesome.

yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 20 May 2010 , 3:05am
post #9 of 15

I agree - it sounds too dry. Are you using the full 2lb bag of powdered sugar? I can never get the entire 2lbs into my marshmallows. I usually end up using only 3/4 of the bag and it's not too dry. HTH!

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 20 May 2010 , 2:34pm
post #10 of 15

Yep, I start with 9 cups on MMF but never use it all.

Unless its REAL humid, or raining, and then I have to be VERY careful. my will end up crumbiling on days like that.

I just make sure I have crisco by the spoonfulls. and every time I ball it up, I coat it with crisco.

BeanCountingBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeanCountingBaker Posted 20 May 2010 , 6:06pm
post #11 of 15

I agree with chellebyerly, I stopped trying to get all the powdered sugar in and it has really helped. Crisco is certainly your friend when working with MMF and keeping it covered as much as possible. I found it helpful to roll my MMF on parchment paper sheets so I don't have to use much powdered sugar or corn starch to keep it from sticking.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 20 May 2010 , 6:23pm
post #12 of 15

I add glycerin to my MMF and it's wonderful... never had any elephant skin... very pliable, tasty... super easy to work with and I now only get SI in the small 2 lbs tubs for black and red colors only....

I took an MMF recipe and tweaked it and it's mu GO TO fondant now.... I make it in 10 minutes and now I can actually do a fondant covered cake and leave it just as it... no need to add borders to hide the edges... or anything to cover any wrinkles or tears or dryness...

hth

yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 20 May 2010 , 6:36pm
post #13 of 15

How much glycerin do you add to one batch of mmf?

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 20 May 2010 , 7:58pm
post #14 of 15

1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons.... not more than that...

if the recipe calls for 4 tablespoons of water... I add 3 tablespoons of water + 1 1/2 teaspoons of water and 1 1/2 teaspoons for glycerin....

hth

icon_smile.gif

pinklady78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklady78 Posted 20 May 2010 , 10:54pm
post #15 of 15

Thank u everyone for all ur help! I am eager to try all of ur ideas. =)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%