How Many People Do You Think This Would Serve?

Decorating By Spectra Updated 17 May 2010 , 7:53pm by Spectra

Spectra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spectra Posted 17 May 2010 , 6:17pm
post #1 of 10

I want to make a 11x15 sheet cake, torted twice and filled. After I actually cut the edges of the cake off it goes down to about 10x14, but since I'm torting it AND filliing it will a lot more batter than the required 11 cups, probably going to use 15 cups of batter. I want it to be able to feed 60 people, but 60 as in good sized pieces, I think it will be good sized because of the extra batter and torting, but I want to be sure. What do you think?

9 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 17 May 2010 , 6:20pm
post #2 of 10

How many layers are you using? This will determine how many pieces you get out of the cake as double layers obviously give you more servings? A single layer torted 3 times I doubt will feed 60 people for a good sized piece.

Spectra Posted 17 May 2010 , 6:49pm
post #3 of 10

Well one layer is considered 11 cups of batter, so I was going to use more batter, like 15 cups baked all at once, then torted so there will be two layers of filling. Hope that make sense. I'm thinking I'm going to have to make more cake, hehe.

Kiddiekakes Posted 17 May 2010 , 6:56pm
post #4 of 10

Yeah...I think you will also because even when I over fill a 11x15 to make it thicker I still can't torte it more than once...There doesn't seem to be enough cake in between the tortes.I would bake another layer.Then it will feed 60 being double layer because you won't have to cut as large of pieces.

Spectra Posted 17 May 2010 , 7:01pm
post #5 of 10

Oh I see what you are saying. That's a great idea. Thank you!

Kiddiekakes Posted 17 May 2010 , 7:02pm
post #6 of 10

Anytime!!!

BeanCountingBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeanCountingBaker Posted 17 May 2010 , 7:09pm
post #7 of 10

If you think the finished size is going to be 10" x 14" and you cut into 2" square pieces that's 35 pieces of cake. Cutting into rectangular slices 1" x 2" would yield 70 pieces. -- Unless my geometry is off.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 17 May 2010 , 7:17pm
post #8 of 10

It isn't going to matter that the cake is a little taller if you are cutting it in even amounts based off the width and length.

Are you doing a single layer, about a 2in in tall cake or a double layer, about a 4in tall cake?

If you are doing a single layer, people generally cut those 2x2x2 slices.

If you are doing a 4in tall cake (2 layers) then people cut those like wedding cakes. So you could have 60 1.5x2x4 slices or 74 1x2x4 slices. Even if your cake was only three inchs tall, you'd still get the same number of servings if you were cutting by 1.5x2 or 1x2.

If you are only doing 2x2x2 then you are looking at about 37-ish slices.

The numbers above are based off teh 11x15. Why are you triming the a half in off each side?

in2cakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
in2cakes2 Posted 17 May 2010 , 7:39pm
post #9 of 10

All of my sheet cakes are three one inch layers (two layers of filling) and end up being four and a half inches high. If cut 1.5x2x4 it will be enough. Alot of people look at a 11x15 and think it looks small till they put the cake on the plate then they usually realize it is just right. I also trim a small amount off of each side, it seems to look better.

Spectra Posted 17 May 2010 , 7:53pm
post #10 of 10

Well the only pan I have is the Wilton gold pan, which doesn't have straight edges, so I end up cutting some off to make it straight. :/ I definitely need a better pan! Haha! I think I'll end up doing a double layer, baking two cakes, so it will be 4" tall.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%