Help Needed Please!

Decorating By clairey_fairee Updated 16 May 2010 , 5:19am by noahsmummy

clairey_fairee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clairey_fairee Posted 14 May 2010 , 11:44pm
post #1 of 9

Hi
the other day i found myself offering to make my friend a cake for her wedding now i am getting very excited about this but unsure which flavours to go for. it is going to be 3 tiers and have been reading lots of threads on here (genius site) and quite fancy using ganache rather than buttercream. i was thinking a red velvet tier as it is not very well known here but i have tasted it before and it was really good, the obligatory chocolate (everyone loves chocolate) and then not sure... will the red velvet go with ganache and then a fondant covering? i want a really clean white finish so would like to do this but having never tasted it (we have crap cakes in the uk - all fruit and marzipan) not sure what it would be like.

8 replies
tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 15 May 2010 , 12:09am
post #2 of 9

How about a vanilla tier. I like to use the WASC recipe. I use Michelle Foster's recipe for fondant. It tastes good. Some people don't like it because of the texture. They can always peal it off. It comes off easily for those who don't like it.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 15 May 2010 , 3:31am
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tastyart

How about a vanilla tier. I like to use the WASC recipe. I use Michelle Foster's recipe for fondant. It tastes good. Some people don't like it because of the texture. They can always peal it off. It comes off easily for those who don't like it.

I also use the WASC receipe. I prefer the "origional WASC by kakeladi thumbs_up.gif I also use Michele Foster's Fondant receipe. That stuff is awesome. It taste great and it's top notch for workability. good luck.

aussiecook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aussiecook Posted 15 May 2010 , 11:19pm
post #4 of 9

Hi here in Australia. Mud Cakes are the in thing for weddings.
So have you thought of making a Chocolate, Caramel & White mud cake.
They hold up well, and cover with fondant.

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 15 May 2010 , 11:22pm
post #5 of 9

I've seen mud cakes mentioned on here quite alot. What exactly are they?

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 15 May 2010 , 11:30pm
post #6 of 9

mud cakes are a really dense moist cake. they are either chocolate, caramel or white choc falvour. ganache is basically their best friend.

and they are [pretty much awesome. =) like i could eat my body weight in mudcake awesome...

p.s.. im not light...

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 16 May 2010 , 4:14am
post #7 of 9

I had never heard of mud cake until doing caking & joining this site. I'd love a tip on a good recipe. Seems it's also popular in the South U.S?

Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 16 May 2010 , 4:58am
post #8 of 9

Look through the Australian recipes in the recipe section there are a few good ones there. I think there is a difference between our mud cakes and the US ones? Not sure but I think they are different.

Mud cakes are fantastic because they can be baked up to 2 weeks before you need them without freezing. Also they are baked in a 3 inch deep tin, filled about 2/3 full and then sliced into 3 or 4 layers rather than baked in thin layers.

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 16 May 2010 , 5:19am
post #9 of 9

bunsen, which do you recommend as a good one? ive tried a few of the mudcake recipes in here, but they never seem tot urn out right, there was one that was quite good apart bfrom the VERY strong coffee taste, so i think id cut down on the coffee for that next time.. i think it was pams chcolate mudcake? also maybe because i was usuing really good quality coffee.. hmmmm.. shall have to do some experimenting i think..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%