Is The Cricut Overwhelming?

Decorating By springlakecake Updated 31 May 2010 , 5:46pm by cookiemama2

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 18 May 2010 , 3:34pm
post #31 of 58

I have seen these as well, and was confused as to which one i would use the most, what is the difference between the cake one and the rest, I saw one at walmart for 156 or so but i think it was for paper can this be used for cake?? Or and the frosting sheets where can you purchase those? Of the internet? Thanks

ERdocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ERdocmom Posted 18 May 2010 , 3:52pm
post #32 of 58

Don't bother getting the "frosting sheets"!!!! My hubby got me these along with the Cricut cake and I'm returning them (which I rarely do). They are just nasty, dry and overpriced!!!! At Michaels, he paid $16.99 per pack (thus the reason I'm returning them)! Just my opinion!

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 18 May 2010 , 3:55pm
post #33 of 58

let me just put this out there:

I bought the Expression because I was interested in doing paper crafts. I do use it for cakes but not to cut out fondant/gumpaste. I cut my own cake stencils out of clear vinyl.

So you can still do food-safe cake things with the cricut you use for paper crafts icon_smile.gif

Also, you don't have to dive right in to MTC or SCAL. The cricut and your cartridges have a LOT of things you can play with before even touching those programs.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 18 May 2010 , 4:15pm
post #34 of 58

What's difficult for me is getting my fondant / gumpaste JUST THE RIGHT mixture to cut, one time it cuts one time it doesn't and whenever I'm NEEDING it to do something that's when it takes a fit. Consistancy is my problem. If I ever get that fixed what fun am I gonna have. LOTS of ideas.

debster Posted 18 May 2010 , 6:22pm
post #35 of 58

Thanks I'll go see.

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 20 May 2010 , 9:12pm
post #36 of 58

I finally called the help desk at Provocraft for some information.

First of all I needed to express my disappointment at the lack of instructions when it came to typcial cutting pressure, speed..etc.

I did not see anywhere on the frosting sheets that said "remove from backing to cut" or "freeze fondant for 30 mins before cutting".

The "help" desk referred me to other community sites for tricks and tips. I was like "what"?

Anyway - I will go home and freeze my fondant and peel the frosting sheets and see what i get.

I don't understand the frosting sheets - they taste like plastic crap...where is the frosting part????

From now on I will try to make my own frosting sheets.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 20 May 2010 , 10:23pm
post #37 of 58

The first cuts I made, I froze the fondant for 10 minutes and after the initial cut the fondant got sticky. Now, I roll out my fondant very thin, let it sit for a few minutes until it is a little firm, then cut. I have had very, very good luck with it this way!

debster Posted 21 May 2010 , 1:05am
post #38 of 58

I'm having better luck with fondant too that's weird??????? I'm ok with the white gumpaste it's whenever I add color it changes the texture totally to like marshmallows, it's looses it's elasticity. Strange again.

Polkadot79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Polkadot79 Posted 21 May 2010 , 1:20am
post #39 of 58

I've had one since Thanksgiving and have yet to use it. Do I have to buy the deep cut blade or can I use the blade that comes with it?

cakefanatic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefanatic Posted 21 May 2010 , 1:21am
post #40 of 58

Just got mine thru HSN sent by usp, purchased @hsn for 399.99 with the cake and wedding cartridge, free shipping.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 21 May 2010 , 1:24am
post #41 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polkadot79

I've had one since Thanksgiving and have yet to use it. Do I have to buy the deep cut blade or can I use the blade that comes with it?

If you have the cricut cake you use the blade that came with it. With any others you need the deep cut housing and blade.

cakesbykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykitty Posted 21 May 2010 , 4:14am
post #42 of 58

I just got mine. I spent 2 days watching the DVD, reading the booklet, watching youtube videos, etc.

Tried to cut today. Lots of deep, cleansing breaths.

I rolled out my gumpaste, froze and then tried... gooey, no clean cuts. Tried about 10 rounds of this, by the last time i had so much crisco kneaded back in my gumpaste I think I was doomed to fail.

tomorrow I'm going to try just letting it air dry for 10 minutes and perhaps trying fondant just air drying 10 minutes.

Thoughts?

cakeroach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeroach Posted 21 May 2010 , 5:13am
post #43 of 58

I have a question about the cake cricut...I am thinking about purchasing it, but do you need to buy a cartridge for everything you want to cut, say different words or what not, or different shapes? I was browsing around on a website that was advertising it, and cartridge sets ran about $70. What if I wanted to cut out letters spelling someone's name or something? I am just a little confused, and frankly can't afford to spend $70 everytime I am doing a new cake and need a different thing cut out.
TIA

cakebaby59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby59 Posted 21 May 2010 , 5:38am
post #44 of 58

Ok yall...I have the cricut e...so which blade would i use to cut fondant/gumpaste with...?

cakebaby59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby59 Posted 21 May 2010 , 5:41am
post #45 of 58

Sorry...didn't read down far enough...i need to get the deep cut blade and housing...cool...thanks yall...this thread has been very helpful!

Briarview Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briarview Posted 21 May 2010 , 6:36am
post #46 of 58

You are all so lucky. We are still waiting for the Cake Circut to arrive in the country. I have adapted the Cricut Create for the cake decorationg and use Cricut Expressions to cut cupcake wrappers and other paper/card projects. I don't think it is far away. It will be interesting to see if it is better. I will be much happier using the food safe model

debster Posted 21 May 2010 , 11:50am
post #47 of 58

cakeroach..........each cartridge does actually hundreds of different sizes and cuts. Actually we get the Sure Cuts Alot Program for about 70.00 and it lets you cut anything you want from an SVG file. I know it's a lot to learn but it's not that hard and what a money saver. I'm finding I have to learn just as much computer work as cake work lately. Do a search here or google sure cuts a lot and make the cut, these are the two choices. Also, go to www.cricut.com and they have new cartridges for like 41.00 NEVER pay full price. Watch Michaels craft store and Joanne Fabric for sales, they have them ALL the time. Hope this info helps you some. One last thought, go to www.youtube.com and search for cricut cake videos to watch for free information and tips. I haven't got the hang yet but I'm hoping to soon.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 21 May 2010 , 11:58am
post #48 of 58

I am having very good luck cutting fondant. I brush the mat with Crisco, roll the fondant out to 1/8', put it on the mat, and roll it out on the mat to about 1/16' ( (I can see the circles through it). Then I don't put it in the freezer, (It gets sticky and gooey if I do) I let it sit for about 10 minutes to firm up a little. My pressure is on 3 and speed is also 3.

I have bought some new cartridges on ebay for less than 1/2 price, but I think either SCAL or MTC would be the way to go.

Good Luck HTH

cakeroach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeroach Posted 21 May 2010 , 2:21pm
post #49 of 58

Thank You Debster, that clears alot up for me! Sounds complicated but I am willing to learn it!

LisaMarie86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMarie86 Posted 21 May 2010 , 3:18pm
post #50 of 58

I bought the cricut cake and got it a little over a week ago and love it. I would have to agree that the frosting sheets are crap. I used the pressure and speed they suggested and the S I cut out at like 6 inches didnt really cut all that well, and you can forget about the little designs I tried to cut out of the sheet with the S. I liked it with chocopan it did well even at smaller sized images. Im just starting out on cake decorating and had a blast with it. I watched the dvd and then just went for it. Also if you get the Michaels email newsletter they have a coupon for 60% off cricut cartridges.

ctinaw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctinaw Posted 21 May 2010 , 3:22pm
post #51 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakesbykitty

I just got mine. I spent 2 days watching the DVD, reading the booklet, watching youtube videos, etc.

Tried to cut today. Lots of deep, cleansing breaths.

I rolled out my gumpaste, froze and then tried... gooey, no clean cuts. Tried about 10 rounds of this, by the last time i had so much crisco kneaded back in my gumpaste I think I was doomed to fail.

tomorrow I'm going to try just letting it air dry for 10 minutes and perhaps trying fondant just air drying 10 minutes.

Thoughts?

I've had absolutely no luck freezing gumpaste or fondant for cutting in the cricut. Air drying for 15-20 minutes is what works for me. Make sure you're rolling it very thin.

cakesbykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykitty Posted 21 May 2010 , 7:41pm
post #52 of 58

ok kids... some GREAT advice coming in.. I'm off to try again! fingers crossed.

On second thought, might give it half an hour as i am covered in edible ink from fighting my printer over an edible image... I won icon_lol.gif

will let you know the outcome.

MadMillie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadMillie Posted 21 May 2010 , 7:47pm
post #53 of 58

I am finally trying mine. However, I'm not brave enough to try the gumpaste yet, so I am practicing with just paper and the deep cut blade. I probably would have let it sit in the box a little longer but I have an 8 and 10 year old out of school now for the summer and they are helping me. I think they know more than I do.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 21 May 2010 , 8:00pm
post #54 of 58

You don't need to use the deep cut blade with paper.

MadMillie Posted 21 May 2010 , 8:04pm
post #55 of 58

I thought if you had the Cricut Cake you had to use the deep cut blade, the cake blade wouldn't cut the paper? Help???

ctinaw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctinaw Posted 21 May 2010 , 8:14pm
post #56 of 58

I imagine it will cut paper fine - some people like to keep their food cutter and paper cutter devices separate. Well - plus it's going to dull your cake blade pretty fast I'd think.

MadMillie Posted 21 May 2010 , 8:16pm
post #57 of 58

Thanks! Now I need to work up the courage to do the gumpaste.

cookiemama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemama2 Posted 31 May 2010 , 5:46pm
post #58 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMarie86

I bought the cake and got it a little over a week ago and love it. I would have to agree that the frosting sheets are crap. I used the pressure and speed they suggested and the S I cut out at like 6 inches didnt really cut all that well, and you can forget about the little designs I tried to cut out of the sheet with the S. I liked it with chocopan it did well even at smaller sized images. Im just starting out on cake decorating and had a blast with it. I watched the dvd and then just went for it. Also if you get the Michaels email newsletter they have a coupon for 60% off cartridges.

Ok i'm just jumping in here reading the last page , sorry...

The frosting sheet, are you talking about the ones you can buy for the cricut cake? I don't have a cricut but I looked at these sheets and wondered if you could use them with different cutters, punches, cookie cutters etc. I'm hoping someone has tried it and can tell me before I buy it and it doesn't work. Thanks for letting me hijack this thread!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%