Bubbles In Buttercream

Decorating By GIAcakes Updated 14 May 2010 , 2:32pm by lisa78332

GIAcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GIAcakes Posted 14 May 2010 , 1:31pm
post #1 of 4

I have the hardest time getting my buttercream icings (I've tried many) completely smooth. It drives me crazy! I want it perfect. When I am icing my cakes, the icing is always "bubbly", full of bubbles. Is this b/c of mixing too long, or not long enough??? Anyone know what causes bubbles and how to not get them?

3 replies
2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 14 May 2010 , 1:42pm
post #2 of 4

I use sugarshack's BC. I make sure the bowl of my KA is full and covering the beater. I cover the mixer and bowl with a damp towel and beat for several minutes. That does 2 things - creates suction thereby decreasing bubbles, and keeps the sugar contained.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 14 May 2010 , 2:21pm
post #3 of 4

I believe unless you do a method like SugarShacks where you have the icing covering the beater you want to keep the mixer on a low speed. I also have noticed the longer I mix it the more air I get in, so once I add the powder sugar I do not mix it any longer than I need to.

lisa78332 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisa78332 Posted 14 May 2010 , 2:32pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

I believe unless you do a method like SugarShacks where you have the icing covering the beater you want to keep the mixer on a low speed. I also have noticed the longer I mix it the more air I get in, so once I add the powder sugar I do not mix it any longer than I need to.

I agree. It's overbeating.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%