Bake Multiple Cakes Or Torte??

Decorating By oopsydeb Updated 13 May 2010 , 8:05pm by mamawrobin

oopsydeb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oopsydeb Posted 13 May 2010 , 6:52pm
post #1 of 5

Hi,
I have a question that has probably come up before but, I'm not sure where to look, hoping you can help!
I'm making a large sheet cake for my daughter's birthday (22x14) and in the past with smaller cakes I usually bake the 3 layers separate (mostly my rounds). This cake will be two layers, my question is should I make one cake and torte it into 2 layers or just bake two separate cakes? any other helpful tips about making a cake this size would be welcome!
Thanks

4 replies
emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 13 May 2010 , 7:05pm
post #2 of 5

I never do sheet cakes, but I would think it depends on the number of servings you want ... a torted cake is just a layer of cake with filling in the middle, a two-layer cake has twice the servings than your one-layer - twice the baking, twice the ingredients.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 13 May 2010 , 7:45pm
post #3 of 5

I would make two cakes rather than torte since it's going to be a large sheet cake. But that's just me. icon_lol.gif I've never torted a sheet cake but I think most people do according to a recent thread on cc. I'm intimidated to torte a 10 inch round cake. I can't imagine trying to torte a "large sheet cake". I'm just saying I wouldn't be comfortable doing it.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 13 May 2010 , 8:00pm
post #4 of 5

The trick with getting that top layer on top with out breaking is to just slice it into workable squares and just piece them together.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 13 May 2010 , 8:05pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks Rose...I'm an idiot. Why didn't I think of that? icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%