Difference In Photos With/without Using A Light Box

Decorating By KimAZ Updated 14 May 2010 , 6:52pm by thecakeprincess

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 10 May 2010 , 11:24pm
post #1 of 27

Hi All,
I was very excited to read other threads about making a light box to take pictures of my cakes in. So I made the cardboard style one with tissue paper "windows". It was ok but not easy to store and too flimsy.
Then I had my husband make me one using the PVC pipe method and a white sheet. Viola! So much better!

Here are pictures of my light box itself with the sheet on and off and folded up for easy storage. I know someone else posted the how to link but here it is again: http://www.pbase.com/wlhuber/light_box_light_tent
I used white poster board inside the box as my background.

I thought I'd share some pictures I took with my Kodak Easy Share camera, which is nothing real fancy to show the difference in using the light box with and without lights shining on it.

I think it makes a great difference!
KimAZ
LL
LL

26 replies
TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 10 May 2010 , 11:53pm
post #2 of 27

Thanks for sharing this, Kim! I don't see your photos though, unless I am missing something. Again, thanks for sharing! icon_smile.gif

Mrs-A Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs-A Posted 10 May 2010 , 11:56pm
post #3 of 27

i can see the pics and many thanks for sharing!

Tammy21122 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tammy21122 Posted 11 May 2010 , 12:16am
post #4 of 27

Love the pictures...what a difference. Love the cake!

CNCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CNCS Posted 11 May 2010 , 12:27am
post #5 of 27

I really need to break down and make one of these.

I know it will make pics so much better.
Finding the time is gonna be the hard part.

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 11 May 2010 , 12:35am
post #6 of 27

So is that little light off to the right turned "on" and this diffusing light shines thru your white fabric? icon_smile.gif

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 11 May 2010 , 12:46am
post #7 of 27

what an amazing difference!

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 11 May 2010 , 12:48am
post #8 of 27

is this a good idea for cookies as well?

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 11 May 2010 , 12:53am
post #9 of 27

I can see them now! I must have had a glitch on my end. icon_rolleyes.gif The difference is vast with and without light, but I do need to say that your work is truly incredible! Thanks again for the info and for the great set-up photos. I normally only shoot natural light, but we are moving to WA state where it rains a decent amount and gets dark early. I have been meaning to start looking at lighting options, so this is very helpful. Much appreciated!

krazyb5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krazyb5 Posted 11 May 2010 , 1:10am
post #10 of 27

thanks for the info icon_wink.gif

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 11 May 2010 , 1:20am
post #11 of 27

Thanks sooo much!

crumbcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbcake Posted 11 May 2010 , 1:37am
post #12 of 27

As GI asked, where do you position the lights, and what is the wattage of the bulbs? It truly makes a difference. Thanks

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:34am
post #13 of 27

Thanks o much for sharing Kim. The difference is clear.. Must get to building one.

lis73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lis73 Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:41am
post #14 of 27

Kim, great pictures. Thanks for the how to link. Question, I love the cake stand and was wondering if you mind sharing where you got it? So very many things you could do to make it versatile. Love it! TIA

Jaime3679 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaime3679 Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:44am
post #15 of 27

has anyone tried this with a black background/sheet?

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 11 May 2010 , 5:31am
post #16 of 27

Ok, first of all...I didn't mean to post this in the Spanish forum. Is there a way a moderator can move it to the General forum?

The desk lamps I used were just some cheapy ones I bought at Wal Mart. They have 40 watt bulbs in them. I just position them on either side of the light box. You can play around with the position of moving the lamp closer or further from the box, or shining the light up, down or towards the back too. And you can change the color of the poster board or whatever you choose to use as a background. Fabric or a long sheet of colored paper would work well.

And yes, the white sheet just difuses the light so there is no glare on the cake or whatever you want to take pictures of, cookies too!

I got the cake stand for a Mother's Day present this year and it was purchased at Kirklands. I love it because the ribbon can be changed to match the cake.

Hope that helps!
KimAZ

Djor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Djor Posted 11 May 2010 , 6:45pm
post #17 of 27

thanks thumbs_up.gif

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 11 May 2010 , 6:57pm
post #18 of 27

I so appreciate the time you took to share this info.....love it! I will have to get my hubby to do this maybe this weekend.

As for the black sheet, I heard that you shouldn't use black as a background as it absorbs light. But I like the look of using a black background......anyone have any tips for this?

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 11 May 2010 , 10:08pm
post #19 of 27

..moved to General forum. icon_smile.gif

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 12 May 2010 , 12:45pm
post #20 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime3679

has anyone tried this with a black background/sheet?

I used the same method for this:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1669722.html

I used two sheets, though. Black just for the background, and white over the top and sides for the light to shine through.

Great pictures!

rajinaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rajinaren Posted 12 May 2010 , 1:18pm
post #21 of 27

wow thanks for the tutorial....i was always having tough time taking the photos....this would help me.

CNCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CNCS Posted 12 May 2010 , 1:51pm
post #22 of 27

I made one!!!!

Took 30 minutes tops. Hubby went to Ace hardware and purchased all the stuff for me and when I got up this morning it was all waiting for me to cut and assemble.

I have one of those sears clamping table things kinda like a work / saw horse that has built in handles that crank and slide the top in and out so I use that as a clamp for the pvc. Tightened up really well to use the hack saw to cut the pvc without it moving around.

Only thing is I need longer "legs" for taller stuff. I had 3/4 of the pvc left so I can make longer legs. 14 inches isnt high enough. Didnt dawn on me at the time when I read the instructiions. Oh well I like the idea of mutiple sets of legs for different heights. Just have to remind hubby not to glue them on so I can change them out as I need to.

Cant wait to try it later today.

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 12 May 2010 , 1:53pm
post #23 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNCS

I made one!!!!

Took 30 minutes tops. Hubby went to Ace hardware and purchased all the stuff for me and when I got up this morning it was all waiting for me to cut and assemble.

I have one of those sears clamping table things kinda like a work / saw horse that has built in handles that crank and slide the top in and out so I use that as a clamp for the pvc. Tightened up really well to use the hack saw to cut the pvc without it moving around.

Only thing is I need longer "legs" for taller stuff. I had 3/4 of the pvc left so I can make longer legs. 14 inches isnt high enough. Didnt dawn on me at the time when I read the instructiions. Oh well I like the idea of mutiple sets of legs for different heights. Just have to remind hubby not to glue them on so I can change them out as I need to.

Cant wait to try it later today.

Congrats! I got enough PVC to make two sets of legs: 12" tall and 24" tall.

ElectricCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElectricCook Posted 12 May 2010 , 1:57pm
post #24 of 27

Thanks for the info. I need to start selling some things on ebay as well a post better pictures of my cakes and cookies.

THESUGARCOW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
THESUGARCOW Posted 12 May 2010 , 2:21pm
post #25 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimAZ

Hi All,
I was very excited to read other threads about making a light box to take pictures of my cakes in. So I made the cardboard style one with tissue paper "windows". It was ok but not easy to store and too flimsy.
Then I had my husband make me one using the PVC pipe method and a white sheet. Viola! So much better!

Here are pictures of my light box itself with the sheet on and off and folded up for easy storage. I know someone else posted the how to link but here it is again: http://www.pbase.com/wlhuber/light_box_light_tent
I used white poster board inside the box as my background.

I thought I'd share some pictures I took with my Kodak Easy Share camera, which is nothing real fancy to show the difference in using the light box with and without lights shining on it.

I think it makes a great difference!
KimAZ

KIM thanks soo so much! I really really needed this! your cowgirl boots!!! I want them 4 my daughter they are soooo adorable icon_rolleyes.gif I going to look in your pictures icon_razz.gif

Katiebelle74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiebelle74 Posted 14 May 2010 , 6:09am
post #26 of 27

THANK YOU! I have been struggling with taking good photos

thecakeprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakeprincess Posted 14 May 2010 , 6:52pm
post #27 of 27

Thanks, I too have been having trouble taking good photos of my cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%