Lime Green Wedding Cake

Decorating By tylercandace0305 Updated 13 May 2010 , 4:34am by mamawrobin

tylercandace0305 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tylercandace0305 Posted 10 May 2010 , 7:44pm
post #1 of 20

I have never been asked for a lime green cake and everywhere I ask, they say to use leaf green, is this a good choice, the cake is 2 weeks away, and is all fondant. Anything would be helpful. Thanks in Advance! icon_wink.gif

19 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 10 May 2010 , 7:58pm
post #2 of 20

if you can get ahold of americolor gels, they have an electric green that makes a perfect lime green, here is a cake using that color
LL

ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 10 May 2010 , 7:59pm
post #3 of 20

There is actually a lime green gel color. I think its from CK products. I use it alot. Leaf green will work, but I like the actual lime green better.

CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 10 May 2010 , 8:06pm
post #4 of 20

Cake Craft also has a lime green gel color that is very nice.

etr2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
etr2002 Posted 10 May 2010 , 8:06pm
post #5 of 20

If you do end-up using Wilton colors, try adding lemon yellow to the leaf green. I've used this combo before with buttercream and it's worked great. I don't do a lot with fondant, so I don't know if it will work with that so I would definitely do a trial run!

KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 10 May 2010 , 8:11pm
post #6 of 20

Definitely do not use straight leaf green....not even close to lime. Like the people above have said - Americolor has the best Electric green - I use it all the time. In a pinch, mix some yellow with the leaf green, but it's not the same as the electric colors!

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 10 May 2010 , 8:16pm
post #7 of 20

I have a lime green fondant covered cake next month! Must be popular!

KSMill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KSMill Posted 10 May 2010 , 8:34pm
post #8 of 20

You can also try Crystal Colors - I know Country Kitchen - countrykitchensa . com is prompt to ship. They have one called "Lime" that I used for this cake.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1439921

Sorry, I couldn't get the image link right. There are actually two in my photos, the Lime Green and Pink Daisies (Round) and the two-tier square with brown ribbon and daisies.

tmac670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmac670 Posted 10 May 2010 , 8:38pm
post #9 of 20

For wilton colors it is more lemon yellow- then you add the green a little at a time until you have the shade of green that you want.

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 10 May 2010 , 8:48pm
post #10 of 20

The Americolor electric green is really bright, so you may want to experiment with different greens first or yellow with green added. Don't use leaf green only.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 10 May 2010 , 10:55pm
post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSMill

You can also try Crystal Colors - I know Country Kitchen - countrykitchensa . com is prompt to ship. They have one called "Lime" that I used for this cake.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1439921

Sorry, I couldn't get the image link right. There are actually two in my photos, the Lime Green and Pink Daisies (Round) and the two-tier square with brown ribbon and daisies.

Sorry to go off topic but I LOVE your cake!

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 10 May 2010 , 11:11pm
post #12 of 20

This cake was done with Americolors electric green. I used a bit less than I would for, say, a birthday cake.
LL

tylercandace0305 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tylercandace0305 Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:45am
post #13 of 20

Thanks you all!! this was very helpful!! I am goin to call americolor tomorrow..Thank thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif you!!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 11 May 2010 , 4:08am
post #14 of 20

Well, since your ordering from Americolor you probably don't need to know this. But, to get lime green you do use leaf green but add lemon yellow. thumbs_up.gif

Elcee Posted 11 May 2010 , 11:01pm
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Well, since your ordering from Americolor you probably don't need to know this. But, to get lime green you do use leaf green but add lemon yellow. thumbs_up.gif

Thanks, mamawrobin, I've been considering lime green for a cake I'm doing for a little local challenge and didn't leave myself enough time to order anything. Wilton Leaf Green and Lemon Yellow it is!

mamawrobin Posted 12 May 2010 , 12:35am
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Thanks, mamawrobin, I've been considering lime green for a cake I'm doing for a little local challenge and didn't leave myself enough time to order anything. Wilton Leaf Green and Lemon Yellow it is!

You're welcome Elcee..I make lemon yellow fondant first then add the leaf green a little at a time to get the color I want. It's actually more yellow than green. I used this for the lime green on my zebra cake.

Elcee Posted 12 May 2010 , 12:42am
post #17 of 20

That is one really cute cake! The color is what I had in mind, too. I have ribbon that I want to match. Thanks again!

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 13 May 2010 , 1:44am
post #18 of 20

I mix colors for most of my icing.....you don't have to use just one color to get the shade you desire.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 13 May 2010 , 1:58am
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by classiccake

I mix colors for most of my icing.....you don't have to use just one color to get the shade you desire.

Me too, classic! In fact, I only own three colors...red, blue and yellow. I can get any color I want just mixing different combinations and proportions of these three colors. Learning this skill saves you TONS of money!

mamawrobin Posted 13 May 2010 , 4:34am
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by artscallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by classiccake

Me too, classic! In fact, I only own three colors...red, blue and yellow. I can get any color I want just mixing different combinations and proportions of these three colors. Learning this skill saves you TONS of money!

I totally agree. Do it all the time. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%