Got My First Complaint Yesterday...

Decorating By love2makecakes Updated 3 Jun 2010 , 9:44pm by mayo2222

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 12 May 2010 , 8:46pm
post #61 of 88

If u talk to her... let her know how u showed your cake to a site that is full of cakesters (PROS) and the reaction you got....

That cake is perfect... super clean lines... very clean and well done.... I have no idea why she would say anything negative about how the cake looks... as to the cake being dry... u stand by your product.... tell her just what u said here... I wonder how it would have been dry when I make that recipe for all my cakes and I haven't had any complaints in the ___ yrs I have been baking.... as to the fondant... u r right... p\\eople either like it or not... there is no in between...

and furthermore...I think she is exagerating when she says she had to pull ur site up to show u can really make cakes.... cause by looking at that cake.... anyone can tell it was done by a pro....

Good Luck... and like u say... 1st complaint... so one out of the 100's u have done... just aint that bad....

BTW: Don't offer/Give any discount or money back or credit....

hth

flowermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flowermom Posted 18 May 2010 , 7:49pm
post #62 of 88

I was just looking over some forums at CC and saw your post, oh my goodness how very sad that you had to go through that. I personally like your cake a lot better than the sample your customer gave you! And I loved it before I even saw the sample in the replies! I wish I could do that well on cakes, you are a great decorator! icon_biggrin.gif

love2makecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
love2makecakes Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 2:17pm
post #63 of 88

Oh for the love of cake!!!!! WTH? So I got this email today from that same customer...

Hope all is well with you. Say, I was wondering if it might be possible to get a small cake or tray or tier of cupcakes for me for Friday afternoon around 3:30? I just need like 10-15 cupcakes or a small cake that says Happy 12th Birthday Tanner. Possibly with a a kid on a skateboard or knee board. I know that I would like marble with butter cream nothing extremely fancy, and I would know for sure tomorrow what I want on it. Just wanted to see if you were able to make it or not by Friday. Also please let me know the cost. We didn't really talk about that when we talked before.

Thanks in advance

I wrote this back... (just for the record I am truely booked!) icon_wink.gif

Unfortunately I am completely booked out for this week and next week other than Monday-Wednesday and then the following week the only days I have open are Monday and Tuesday. This is a crazy busy wedding month for me!

And then she sent this back to me? WTH, really because it sounded like she asked me if I was available for Friday, not that we had already had an arrangement...

I thought I had told you when you did Tyler s hunting cake that I needed one around the 8th but you must have forgotten. Ok I guess that's fine.

So I responded with...

When I spoke to you via phone that Sunday, you mention that you would possibly be needing cupcakes in June, but no particular date was given. I have had these weddings booked for 6 months to a year so my schedule did not change at all from the time that I spoke to you.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

Seriously! I didn't even think she would contact me again for any other cake. While I did offer to throw in some free cupcakes because she was unhappy with her cake, I didn't just say WHENEVER you want them. I do have a business to run, if I am booked, I am booked... Geeze!

love2makecakes Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 2:21pm
post #64 of 88

Now she just sent this back to me...

Ok that's fine I understand and I can see its a bit difficult to fit in a small cake so maybe just refund me something and I will buy one else where if that's fine?

How do I even respond to this?????

She knows I work all my myself here, I REALLY do not have the time to throw in another "little cake" here!

Goonergirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goonergirl Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 2:46pm
post #65 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by love2makecakes

Now she just sent this back to me...

Ok that's fine I understand and I can see its a bit difficult to fit in a small cake so maybe just refund me something and I will buy one else where if that's fine?

How do I even respond to this????? She knows I work all my myself here!

A refund for what? icon_confused.gif Is she serious? Geez!
Make your next email short and sweet. Take the high road and don't get into petty bickering. You are in the right here, and it's just not worth it to waste your time with this "client".

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 2:55pm
post #66 of 88
Quote:

How do I even respond to this????? She knows I work all my myself here!

Whoa, psycho much?

I think I would call and say, "I got your email and there is no refund due. Is there anything else I can help you with?"

Just keep saying no.

She needs to be firmly stopped. And not allowed to go on any tangents.

If she does get out on a tangent. Remind her she got the 'friend deal' on the price and if the cake was as bad as she said it was why would she want more. Then give the "Is there anything else I can help you with?" line.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 2:58pm
post #67 of 88

Coming from a family with hunters I can see the orange part. It should have been blaze orange as that is what hunters wear so as not to get mistaken for deer in the woods. Yeah, it's supposed to be a neon orange. Beyond that I think you did an amazing job! The deer head was awesome and it was a beautiful cake. She had too many critics in the kitchen. And I bet it didn't start until someone found out what you paid for it. How convenient the Walmart baker was there to spout off about something she knows nothing about...i.e. fondant...or good CAKE for that matter! That being said, if you don't write down what the client wants plus provide a sketch showing where and what colors are going to be used, then she can come back and say anything and you'll second guess yourself. As far as the cake being dry, well, that's subjective. The only thing you can do is say that when you tasted it, it was moist, but since she was unhappy with it, how about a dozen cupcakes at no charge (no decoration) or a $25 gift certificate to be used toward anything in the future. And thank her for her feedback...even negative, because that's something you can use to provide a better product. It's hard not to beat yourself up, but think of all the others who have been really happy with your work and know that on occasion there will be one sour apple in the barrel. Just try not to take it personally. I know I would have been pleased with the cake! thumbs_up.gif

love2makecakes Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 3:11pm
post #68 of 88
Quote:

Oh for the love of cake!!!!! WTH? So I got this email today from that same customer...

Hope all is well with you. Say, I was wondering if it might be possible to get a small cake or tray or tier of cupcakes for me for Friday afternoon around 3:30? I just need like 10-15 cupcakes or a small cake that says Happy 12th Birthday Tanner. Possibly with a a kid on a skateboard or knee board. I know that I would like marble with butter cream nothing extremely fancy, and I would know for sure tomorrow what I want on it. Just wanted to see if you were able to make it or not by Friday. Also please let me know the cost. We didn't really talk about that when we talked before.

Thanks in advance

I wrote this back... (just for the record I am truely booked!) icon_wink.gif

Unfortunately I am completely booked out for this week and next week other than Monday-Wednesday and then the following week the only days I have open are Monday and Tuesday. This is a crazy busy wedding month for me!

And then she sent this back to me? WTH, really because it sounded like she asked me if I was available for Friday, not that we had already had an arrangement...

I thought I had told you when you did Tyler s hunting cake that I needed one around the 8th but you must have forgotten. Ok I guess that's fine.

So I responded with...

When I spoke to you via phone that Sunday, you mention that you would possibly be needing cupcakes in June, but no particular date was given. I have had these weddings booked for 6 months to a year so my schedule did not change at all from the time that I spoke to you.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

Seriously! I didn't even think she would contact me again for any other cake. While I did offer to throw in some free cupcakes because she was unhappy with her cake, I didn't just say WHENEVER you want them. I do have a business to run, if I am booked, I am booked... Geeze!

this was her last email that i have yet to respond to...

carminok - I did offer her cupcakes in our initial communication back over mothers day. the above all went down today which has left me more confused. she is all over the board and i have no idea how to respond with a nice but firm response. i can not just do cakes for people at the drop of the a hat. if i am busy i am busy. that is that. why can she not understand that? i really do not want to offer her a refund of money, i would be willing to do a gift cert, but that is what i already did. she tried to cash it in 2 days from when she wants a cake and now is upset that i am busy? how does one respond with still sounding nice??? i am just pissed now!

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 3:19pm
post #69 of 88

Just tell her that you can not guarantee availability and that her "gift certificate" is still good for another year should there be another occassion she would like to use it for, but unfortunately you can not offer a refund.

If you do have some availability or would consider making her cake/cupcake then just tell her that you can do it but your rush fee is $xx.xx and that she would need to pay for that in order for you to complete it for her.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 3:24pm
post #70 of 88

Your cake is outstanding.
If you have offered her cupcakes for compensation (which is totally unnecessary because the cake was great) or a gift certificate (ditto), she still has to order them according to your scheduling. Make no concessions for this brat.

-K8memphis Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 3:25pm
post #71 of 88

Oh whoops, my bad, you did offer something--I missed that part I was skimming--so lop off a dozen cuppies--toss 'em in a plastic container and be done with it? Tell her they are undecorated?

Buy some from the grocery store?

She's still off her track for complaining like that on Mother's Day morning.

But if you offered, I mean now you gotta wait till she wants to contact you again?

Could a family member pitch in & make 'em for yah or something and get you off the hook?

Hey, send her thirteen bucks & make her go away. 10%

You don't have to be nice you have to be professional.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 3:27pm
post #72 of 88

Ok - take a deep breath! There will always be "those wackos" out there, but don't let her run all over you. Your replies have been very professional, so maintain that attitude. Tell her the only thing you will send her is a credit for $$ towards cupcakes , to be scheduled 2 weeks in advanced. As that is how all your orders are taken. If you feel you would like to explain again that you are alone and are totally booked, you can- so you have it in writing again, but I don't think it is necessary. You have been very nice to her!

rowingmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rowingmom Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 3:30pm
post #73 of 88

I like your cake better than the picture she provided, but you can cetainly tell that it is the same cake less the grass. The excution is great and the price seems on mark for the amount of work that was done. The problem is hers and not yours. It bothers you so much because you care about your cakes and try to do your best work always. Creations are personal and when people complain it can be easy to take the complaint personally. In this case the complaint was unwarrented!!!!!

-K8memphis Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 3:55pm
post #74 of 88

And yes the orange often worn by hunters is that real bright loud dayglo orange --but your orange is very in line with camoflage colors when orange is used in the camo pattern.

WendyB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WendyB Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 3:55pm
post #75 of 88

"I'm sorry I can't accommodate your current request. I require a minimum 2 week notice for any order. I hope you will be able to plan ahead and use your certificate for your next cake need.

idocakes4fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idocakes4fun Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 4:20pm
post #76 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyB

"I'm sorry I can't accommodate your current request. I require a minimum 2 week notice for any order. I hope you will be able to plan ahead and use your certificate for your next cake need.

The only thing I would add here is ", subject to date availability" following "minimum 2 week notice for any order". Even if she'd ordered 2 weeks earlier, you were already booked.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 4:38pm
post #77 of 88

you offered her a dozen cupcakes- she wants 15 or 16-

seriously, I would make her 16, charge her for 4 (over the dozen you offered) along with a note or something, "orders are accepted based upon availability" or something like that...

if you could, I agree with the PP...take care of it now or ...SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE'LL BEEEEEEEEEEEEEE BAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!

all4cake Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 4:39pm
post #78 of 88

sorry, idocakes4fun...I'm slow...didn't see your 'availability' response...

dreamcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamcakesmom Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 4:42pm
post #79 of 88

I think this is a good lesson in getting all terms in writing and then acknowledged by customer. I won't beat a dead horse I think by now you realize even a written description by email initially would have helped some (not all) of her complaints) Also after hearing how unhappy she was I would have followed up a written phone conversation with an email confirmtation confirming what and the terms of what you were going to do for her. Such as Per our conversation I am sorry you were not fully satisfied with the cake I did on such a such a date. Your business is important to me and I am offering you a free six pack of cupcakes for you to enjoy. All orders must me paced at least 2 weeks in advnace of pick up date and this complimentary gift is valid for 6 months from such and such a date. Unfortunately usually when they complain it snowballs and getting things in writing cuts back on further issues. I would apologize for the confusion, foillow up by saying my offer was for # of cupcakes and with 2 weeks notice I would be more than happy to honor that offer.

Good Luck- keep us posted!

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 4:44pm
post #80 of 88

All gift cert should say 'Cannot be Redeemed for Cash'? Or 'No Cash Value' ?

all4cake Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 4:51pm
post #81 of 88

Oh, I didn't think she offered an actual certificate but simply offered her cupcakes in the future...

MimiDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiDee Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 5:02pm
post #82 of 88

maybe a cake muggle couldnt believe she was spending that much money on a cake she cud have just bought at walmart.... forget that its bespoke caking service.

lol, theres absolutely nothing wrong with the cake, just stingy buyers remorse. it looks beautiful, stop beating yourself up about, apologize, (i would not refund or offer cake, its perfect).... and move on.

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 5:33pm
post #83 of 88

I think that you did a great job on the cake. This take it as a learning experince with dealing people. Some people really just do not know what they want. It was probaly the price since her mother worked at Walmart. Why didn't she order the cake from her mom?

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 5:55pm
post #84 of 88

Oh my gosh, she's unrelenting!! Her request to cash in on that free cupcake offer (which was uber generous on your part since the cake was awesome) shows that your cake tasted great, too and that she is just out for freebies/discounts. Otherwise, she wouldn't dare order from you again, no matter what!

Respond once more with "the offer for a dozen cupcakes is redeemable for up to 12 months, based on availability of my time. You would prefer fresh cupcakes and that is what I would prefer to sell to you. Please contact me two weeks prior to cashing in your cupcake offer and we can settle the details at that time."

Or change it to 6 months from now so you can get her out of your hair faster! icon_razz.gif

Jenniferkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenniferkay Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 6:48pm
post #85 of 88

I don't know if it were me..I'd just do the cupcakes and get it over with.

Butterpatty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Butterpatty Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 7:44pm
post #86 of 88

Send her a $10 gift certificate for Wal-Mart and tell her that Wal-Mart sells cupcakes by the dozen. Oh, wait, she already knows that icon_rolleyes.gificon_wink.gif .

BTW- am I wrong about this: I thought that fondant sealed the cake and that helped keep it moist. If so, why did her decorator mom say the fondant could have made it dry??

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 10:44pm
post #87 of 88

I think you've gone above and beyond. You'll never please everyone and she's the type to keep bitching about everything. Let Walmart provide her cakes from now on.
You can only do so much. It's YOUR business. Set this looney bird free to bother someone else.
thumbs_up.gif

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 9:44pm
post #88 of 88

Any update on the situation?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%