Figurine To Eat Later

Decorating By Summer09 Updated 11 May 2010 , 7:10am by ceshell

Summer09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Summer09 Posted 10 May 2010 , 10:30am
post #1 of 6

If i make a figurine today, can i put it on a cake to be eaten at the end of the month- or will it go off or be un edible- how will i store it untill then

5 replies
Summer09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Summer09 Posted 10 May 2010 , 1:58pm
post #2 of 6

Anyone at all..............Please

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 10 May 2010 , 2:05pm
post #3 of 6

my kids have eaten my practice fondant/gumpaste and pure fondant fiqures a month or so later.. None of them died. and they faught over who got to eat it. they said it tasted great, but, theywould eat dirt if you put coolwhip on it.

But I dont know what the actual shelf life is. ?? sorry icon_sad.gif

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 10 May 2010 , 2:13pm
post #4 of 6

I make figurines and flowers ahead of time all the time! Just store them in a cool dry place, out of sunlight and if you can, cover them under glass. Michaels sells things to put autograph baseballs and those sort of things in that are perfect for this sort of thing. You can also put them in a rubbermaid tub or something along those lines.

shanney54 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanney54 Posted 10 May 2010 , 10:19pm
post #5 of 6

What does the glass container do?

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 11 May 2010 , 7:10am
post #6 of 6

I think glass, as opposed to *possibly* plastic, won't transmit any taste to the product you are storing. I store dry goods in plastic all of the time but with something soft like fondant I suppose the plastic taste could leach into the figure. When I make fondant stuff ahead of time, though, I do store it in food-grade plastic containers.

Either way, you want it in a sealed container if you want it to remain soft for eating and yes, a month should be fine. Personally I would vent the container a teeny tiny bit to make sure EXCESS moisture isn't trapped inside, causing spoilage. But that's just me icon_rolleyes.gif Or else check in on it every few days to vent the moisture.

However if you don't really, REALLY expeect it to be consumed, you can just store it in a porous box (to let the air circulate) and let it dry out. It will still be technically edible, but it will harden up, esp if you use 50/50 fondant/gumpaste.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%