Pearlizing A Cake

Decorating By moralna Updated 25 Apr 2016 , 11:22pm by ninajeanette2

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 11 May 2010 , 6:41pm
post #31 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by gscout73

Hello, Edna, my heroine. I also have a question about the dusts. I have a request to do a gift box cake with the colors being silver and purple... deep rich purple (ribbons and bows). But she wants shine. The recipient is all about the bling.

The silver will be no problem, but I am not confident about the purple. The luster dust that I bought looked like it would be a dark enough shade, but the end result was more lavender than a rich purple. I went back to site and I see there are some other sparkle dusts, etc, and even though on the site they look like they would be a dark, rich color, I am afraid I will end up disappointed. Do you have any suggestions how to add shimmer/shine without making the color lighter?

BTW, I recently made a cake that called for my tappits lettering and again, thanks to you, everyone was impressed!!! Thank you again!!! thumbs_up.gif

Sandy

Use the fondant as close as the color that you need and try to find a luster dust that it's as close to it. Try it first in a piece of fondant to see if it works well. Sometimes I change the base color to reach the color I need with the luster.
The white pearl dust will only make it lighter.
Do you have a photo of the color you are trying to achieve? It would be easier to help you!

Edna icon_smile.gif

tonedna Posted 11 May 2010 , 6:46pm
post #32 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by lecrn

I just tried the Americolor liquid pearl sheen without any problems. I then tried the crystal color (powder) mixed with Everclear & almost immediately it got clogged. Maybe I didn't make it thin enough? I like the look of the crystal color better, but don't want to deal with it clogging since I'm doing the whole cake.
I wonder if you could make the liquid pearl sheen a little thinner with Everclear and just spray a second coat?

I dont like dealing with the clogging either, It can damage the airbrush.
I had once one that had that problem. Cant remember the name of the company. But I was able to use it with another type of gun. My airbrush
has to gun sprayers, ones works better for bigger areas and it clogs less than the one I use for close up work.

I wonder if you need to move the needle inside to open the airhole.
Edna icon_smile.gif

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 11 May 2010 , 10:01pm
post #33 of 36

I dont like dealing with the clogging either, It can damage the airbrush.
I had once one that had that problem. Cant remember the name of the company. But I was able to use it with another type of gun. My airbrush
has to gun sprayers, ones works better for bigger areas and it clogs less than the one I use for close up work.

I wonder if you need to move the needle inside to open the airhole.
Edna icon_smile.gif[/quote]

I made the crystal colors pearl dust really thin with the Everclear & sprayed 2 coats on a small dummy cake without it clogging (used highest pressure). It may take a few more coats, but I'd rather do that than to deal with clogs or spatters.
I've taken the whole airbrush pen apart twice to clean (PITA), but didn't realize that you could move the needle once assembled to open the hole more? The only instructions with the airbrush are how to take it apart & assemble. It would be nice if it included some basic instructions.
Thx so much for your advice!!

tonedna Posted 12 May 2010 , 1:36am
post #34 of 36

Yes... the needle can be move forward and backwards at least in the ones I had.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

moralna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moralna Posted 12 May 2010 , 1:12pm
post #35 of 36

Edna - you had mentioned that there were some high quality dusts that could actually be brushed onto the cake dry that would give you the pearlization. Can you tell me what brand that was?

ninajeanette2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninajeanette2 Posted 25 Apr 2016 , 11:22pm
post #36 of 36

I don't have airbrush 

could someone show me the spesifiq product to use for aerosol spray and a photo to show what I wil achieve and the same what kind of brand of dry lustre and a picture showing the differences 

I m soooo confused

i made this cake a year ago when starting with pm lustre spray 

how can I make  it shinier. Not lighter in colour and how can I make cleaner and neater make up without buying moulds 

thank you so much for helping me 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%