Pls Help. Can't Get My Bc Mcqueen Red

Decorating By joenshan Updated 10 May 2010 , 2:12am by KathysCC

joenshan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joenshan Posted 9 May 2010 , 1:29am
post #1 of 14

I have used an entire container of Wilton's Red-Red along with a little Christmas Red and Burgandy. I can't get it past a dusty rose pink. Can I get to red from here? This is for a Lightning McQueen cake. Please help!

Thanks!!!
Shannpn

13 replies
CaKKes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CaKKes Posted 9 May 2010 , 1:44am
post #2 of 14

Have you let it sit for a while? I find that sometimes after I let my buttercream sit the color will get deeper. I actually just did some red today and I mixed some red in and let it sit, mixed some more in and let it sit then I finally reached the red I needed.

Polarcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Polarcakes Posted 9 May 2010 , 3:35am
post #3 of 14

You can get icing colors specifically made in the CARS colors. They come in a pack of four. I`ve been told that colors you can get in these packs, is not sold individually though.

iheartcupkakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iheartcupkakes Posted 9 May 2010 , 3:54am
post #4 of 14

try a little orange in it

Niquie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niquie Posted 9 May 2010 , 5:22am
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaKKes

Have you let it sit for a while? I find that sometimes after I let my buttercream sit the color will get deeper. I actually just did some red today and I mixed some red in and let it sit, mixed some more in and let it sit then I finally reached the red I needed.

I agree. I did a Mcqueen, not a very good one, but I did notice that once I had it iced that it looked more pink than red, but after it sat for a little while, it darkened up, and was a perfect red. Maybe just give it some time to dry and darken.

Melissas_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melissas_Cakes Posted 9 May 2010 , 5:25am
post #6 of 14

red always looks a little pale, after it sits for an hour or so it will darken right up.

EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 9 May 2010 , 5:35am
post #7 of 14

I'm no expert....but if all else fails, why couldn't you cheat a little & spray it with that red aerosal can food color? I can't remember the brand. Is it wilton? Not sure. But, you can get it at the craft store in a handful of colors. One of them is red I think.

The bulk of the car is red? So, once you frost & let sit. Why couldn't you lightly spray & then let dry a layer of red. Then, after dry, add details? Would that work if you end up not happy with the final shade?

Again - I'm no expert! Just a thought ----

joenshan Posted 9 May 2010 , 11:36am
post #8 of 14

Thank you all so much for your suggestions! It has sat overnight and is still pink. I saw the Cars color pak, I think I will go get that today and try it. And I think I will pick up a can of red spray just in case!

ctinaw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctinaw Posted 9 May 2010 , 3:38pm
post #9 of 14

When I saw this post I got all excited thinking you were making an Alexander McQueen cake for someone. hehe. Red is tough - I tried to get red yesterday as well - and I agree it is a bit darker today.

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 9 May 2010 , 6:38pm
post #10 of 14

Have you tasted your icing? That much red (that is no-taste) usually leaves a bitter taste. To get a nice red, I always start with rose pink. Just a little then add a lot of no-taste red. I will then use some red-red, not as much as the the no-taste though, because I do not want the bitter taste. You do have to let it sit for a while. I make this icing the day before that way the color deepens.

joenshan Posted 9 May 2010 , 8:28pm
post #11 of 14

Thanks for that heads up. I did taste it and it is okay so far. Unfortunately, I just added yet ANOTHER large container of Wilton gel No taste Red and it has progressed to fucia. It is a double batch of BC, but seriously?? Is my icing color resistant or does Wilton Red just really stink?

Melissas_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melissas_Cakes Posted 10 May 2010 , 12:28am
post #12 of 14

you just have to use a lot of red to get it that nice vibrant red color, i know i make a lot of red buttercream. seems that the hardest colors are always the most popular.

pinkorchid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkorchid Posted 10 May 2010 , 1:18am
post #13 of 14

It's a hard color to get. The wilton instructor I had always said to use pink first get it as bright pink as you can then start adding the red. I have used that method and it did seem to take less coloring all in all than starting out with red from the get go.
Good luck!!

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 10 May 2010 , 2:12am
post #14 of 14

That is a lot of red for even a double batch of buttercream. I always use Wilton no-taste red and have no problem coloring buttercream. It always dries red even if it looks pink going on. Sitting in the bowl is not enough, you have to let it sit out and dry on the cake. To test this, put a small amount of icing on the back of a white plate and let it sit out for an hour or so, uncovered.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%