Rolled Buttercream?

Decorating By lilyankee5688 Updated 10 May 2010 , 4:58pm by lilyankee5688

lilyankee5688 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilyankee5688 Posted 9 May 2010 , 12:00am
post #1 of 8

I'm still fairly new to the decorating world. I just saw a cake covered in rolled buttercream. I have never heard of it before. Is it better than fondant?! does it tast better?! Anyone use it before?!

7 replies
tigerhawk83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigerhawk83 Posted 9 May 2010 , 12:51am
post #2 of 8

Rolled buttercream is easier to make than fondant but not as flexible - it doesn't require glycerin or gelatin or cooking. I have used it - it's OK, particularly for cookies, but would not use it on larger cakes.

Amyand3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amyand3 Posted 9 May 2010 , 4:24am
post #3 of 8

It is all I use on my smaller cakes simply because it tastes so much better than fondant. Super easy to make, fairy tricky to cover a cake with it though. I have found that it tears very easily and it tends to be a tad greasy at times. I use it mostly for 6 and 8 inch rounds. icon_smile.gif

lilyankee5688 Posted 10 May 2010 , 2:39pm
post #4 of 8

how do you make it?! i hate the taste of fondant.. i'm making a baby bottom cake, and maybe this is better to use for the diaper, than fondant, since it is on the cake being eaten, then fondant for the other accents...

Djor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Djor Posted 10 May 2010 , 2:56pm
post #5 of 8

wow, new for me do you have a recipe? thumbs_up.gif

ElectricCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElectricCook Posted 10 May 2010 , 3:17pm
post #6 of 8

I just made cookies for Mother's Day using Rolled Buttercream. It was very easy to make. I didn't like the taste of it because I don't like the tase of powered sugar and I don't like the taste of Royal Icing either. If something has even a faint trace of powered sugar in it I won't eat it.

I got rave reviews for the cookies and the Rolled Buttercream from my son and my friends that I gave the cookies to. My son who is 10 will tell me if something tastes digusting or not. He is my best critic because he is honest and my husband will say that everything I make tastes good. My son was asking for just Rolled Buttercream alone for 3 days straight.

Amyand3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amyand3 Posted 10 May 2010 , 3:19pm
post #7 of 8

Yes, this is my recipe that I use, it is very yummy!!!
1 cup light corn syrup
1 cup crisco(I have used both the original and the butter flavor kind, but the butter flavor kind turns the fondant a light yellow color)

Mix these 2 together until smooth, then add a dash of salt and 1 tblspoon of either almond extract or clear vanilla extract. I prefer almond extract so that is what I use. Mix together well. Then slowly add in a 2lb bag of powdered sugar. Hand knead until consistency of fondant. Roll out with lots of powdered sugar.

Like I said, I have found it is kind of tricky to use, tears easily, but I prefer the taste over fondant...

Hopefully this helps! If you look at my pics almost all of them are done with the rolled buttercream! icon_smile.gif

lilyankee5688 Posted 10 May 2010 , 4:58pm
post #8 of 8

awesome thanks for the recipe Amyand3!!! I cant wait to try it. I just got a 5qt Kitchen Aid mixer for my birthday, i cant wait to use it.. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%