How Do I Soften Mmf!?

Baking By sweetiepies7 Updated 7 May 2010 , 1:40pm by Loucinda

sweetiepies7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiepies7 Posted 7 May 2010 , 9:34am
post #1 of 5

How do I soften MMF? Better yet is there a better more consistent fondant recipe? Sometimes MMF works like a dream and others it is a nightmare! Please Help!

4 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 7 May 2010 , 10:06am
post #2 of 5

Hi, I saw a video and that lady put the MMf in the microwave for 10 seconds to soften it up. icon_smile.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 7 May 2010 , 12:01pm
post #3 of 5

MMF is all I use. I think the secret to it is making sure it is kneaded enough, and being sure there is the right amount of powdered sugar in it. I never have any problems with it (knock on wood!) icon_biggrin.gif

To soften it (and if it is made correctly, it should need to be softened after it has ripened overnight) You do as the PP stated.....just microwave it for a few seconds at a time and then re-knead it again until pliable. Be careful when microwaving it, it can sometimes get a "hot" spot - espcecially if you heat it too long.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 7 May 2010 , 12:31pm
post #4 of 5

If you stick to one brand of marshmallows and one brand of powdered sugar, and put the same amount of water in each time, your MMF should come out the same all the time.

My MMF never needs softened the next day, so if yours doesn't usually, don't feel like you're doing something wrong. When you microwave it, watch out for any spots that look really shiny or melted, because they can burn you pretty bad.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 7 May 2010 , 1:40pm
post #5 of 5

Must be another difference between Ohio and Texas?? I always soften mine. (humidity levels??) I prefer it to be softer before kneading, I am sure I could do it from the non microwaved state, I just like making it easier on my arms. Why work harder than I have to!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%