Using An Airbrush.

Decorating By lildragon Updated 9 May 2010 , 10:29pm by Enchantin-Cakes

lildragon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lildragon Posted 7 May 2010 , 2:34am
post #1 of 11

I've been cake decorating for family and friends for a year now, and last Christmas, by husband bought me an airbrush gun. I've been a little scared to use it just because I've never used one before. I want to know if there are any basics I should know, like do I need to dilute the airbrush gels or can I just use them straight out of the bottle, do I need do airbrush in a large room due to over-spray, and just basic information. I want to practice soon, so that I can make my niece's birthday cake. Also, how do I get the glitter effect? Do they make glitter airbrush colors, or do I mix in something. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

10 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 7 May 2010 , 3:01am
post #2 of 11

hi, i only use air brush colors in my airbrush system. which is a kopykake airmaster. That is what i was told to do. For the sheen look, i use Americolor airbrush sheen colors. Or Lucks airbrush sheen colors. I practiced with coloring books. Printed paper towels. Bought Frances Kuyper's dvd, and books,etc. bought carol faxons books, bought Roland
Winbecklers books, etc. there are so many on line that you can purchase. i just played and taught myself with all this help. you can, cut out a front from a big box and surrond it around your airbrush for overspray, etc. hth

lildragon Posted 7 May 2010 , 3:04am
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

hi, i only use air brush colors in my airbrush system. which is a kopykake airmaster. That is what i was told to do. For the sheen look, i use Americolor airbrush sheen colors. Or Lucks airbrush sheen colors. I practiced with coloring books. Printed paper towels. Bought Frances Kuyper's dvd, and books,etc. bought carol faxons books, bought Roland
Winbecklers books, etc. there are so many on line that you can purchase. i just played and taught myself with all this help. you can, cut out a front from a big box and surrond it around your airbrush for overspray, etc. hth

Thank you! I guess I just have to get in there and try.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 7 May 2010 , 3:19am
post #4 of 11

put water in it and practise spraying that on newspaper first. youll be able to get the feel of where to pull the lever back to, how far away to be from the surface. Using water you wont have to worry about over spray. THEN when you feel ready to actually see what you are spraying , use AB colours but still use the newspaper. you can move to colouring books for more contral practice and before you know it you will be ready to spray a cake.

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 7 May 2010 , 8:50am
post #5 of 11

My best advice would be to do light coats, letting each one dry before you start putting another coat. It usually takes me about 3 coats to get a full coverage. But the biggest mistake is trying to paint it solid in one coat.

lildragon Posted 7 May 2010 , 3:12pm
post #6 of 11

Thank you all for the advice. I will try water first, that way I won't waste color. Thank you again.

badkitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
badkitty Posted 7 May 2010 , 4:14pm
post #7 of 11

I've been using a regular paint airbrush for years and was wondering if there is any real difference in airbrushing on buttercream or fondant. I'm dying to get a 'food' airbrush and try it out! I've never used a pen style brush, just the ones with the jar underneath, the pen looks so much easier to control!

Anyone have any experience with both? I'm clueless when it comes to airbrushing on cakes icon_smile.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 7 May 2010 , 4:36pm
post #8 of 11

www.howtoairbrush.com This should be helpful

badkitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
badkitty Posted 7 May 2010 , 5:20pm
post #9 of 11

LOL, thanks, tiggy2, but I've been airbrushing for 35 years, icon_wink.gif just wondering if there are any differences when dealing with cake and edible products and the cake airbrushes. Not that I have the skills to do the little fine details free hand, I much prefer my stencils and taping to freehanding.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 8 May 2010 , 10:39pm
post #10 of 11

My DH keeps telling me to buy an airbrush but I am very nervous about (A) buying the wrong one & (B) not being able to use it properly, therfore wasting a bunch of money!

Enchantin-Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Enchantin-Cakes Posted 9 May 2010 , 10:29pm
post #11 of 11

I got this one that i'm using on-line. I think balley's or so. Quite good and all steel. I prefer it to copykake. It's double action and easy to use. Came with 2 guns and a compressor. Haven't seen them on-line for a while now though. So if anyone know how to get them...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%