Icing/cream/frosting Suitable To Use With Fondant?

Decorating By Shepsit Updated 7 May 2010 , 7:58pm by Shepsit

Shepsit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shepsit Posted 6 May 2010 , 9:43am
post #1 of 4

Hi all,

Yesterday night was a nightmare for me. I baked my cake and than I prepared a icing with cacao to use in the layers of my cake and also to cover all around the finished cake. Then I was planning to cover my cake with fondant. But the icing/cream/frosting (sorry I'm not American or English and I don't know which term you guys use) was a disaster. It was too liquid.
I found a nice vanilla icing recipe, but I immediately need a cacao/chocalate icing recipe.
Would you guys please share your icing recipes that you use for your cakes? It has to be a icing that won't melt the fondant.
Thanks in advance.

3 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 6 May 2010 , 8:48pm
post #2 of 4

Any buttercream or ganache can be used under fondant.

KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 6 May 2010 , 9:13pm
post #3 of 4

I have two favorites that please two totally different palates.....

Swiss Meringue Buttercream (more of a buttery, smooth flavor). There are a few recipes in the recipe section on here. I haven't tried them - I use the one from the Confetti Cakes cookbook, but the ones on here shouldn't be too different.

Buttercream Dream (an American type buttercream, made with shortening and confectioners sugar) which is in the recipe section for sure.

I have used both under fondant. I get a nicer, cleaner look using the Swiss Meringue Buttercream, but both are nice. Hope that helps!

Shepsit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shepsit Posted 7 May 2010 , 7:58pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you so much prterrell and KrissieCakes.
Would you please give me a recipe that you use to make buttercream?
I search the recipes of CC but most of them uses shortening, and I do not know what it is. Is it a kind of vegetable butter or margarine?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%