Black Fondant

Decorating By Kim2925 Updated 15 May 2010 , 10:55pm by BlessP

Kim2925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim2925 Posted 5 May 2010 , 5:42pm
post #1 of 14

Can someone please tell me how to keep black fondant looking black and not the dull gray it turns to after working with it. I have tried adding in black food gel. Just dont know what I am doing wrong. Any suggestions would be great. icon_cry.gif

13 replies
metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 5 May 2010 , 6:07pm
post #2 of 14

lots of us have given up making our own black fondant and just purchased it pre-colored (e.g. Satin Ice)

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 5 May 2010 , 6:07pm
post #3 of 14

you can try adding dark cocoa powder to get it dark brown, then add black coloring. hth!

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 5 May 2010 , 6:19pm
post #4 of 14

I have one work for you "Satinice"

This is what I use for black and red!

luv_to_decorate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv_to_decorate Posted 5 May 2010 , 6:21pm
post #5 of 14

If you do a search on here for black fondant you will see a recipe for True Black MMF. It adds melted chocolate to your fondant and then add black coloring. I used this recipe to cover my guitar hero cake in my pics and it turned out great. My family doesn't usually like mmf much, but they loved the taste of this one.

LadyKinster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyKinster Posted 5 May 2010 , 6:29pm
post #6 of 14

I second luv-to-decorate.
The recipe for True Black MMF is awesome... it works great and tastes so good!

Kim2925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim2925 Posted 14 May 2010 , 6:00pm
post #7 of 14

Thank you all for your suggestions.

UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 14 May 2010 , 6:22pm
post #8 of 14

agree with the others! true black mmf fondant tastes great and is fairly easy to work with. duff is selling premade fondant at michaels now and his black tastes great and is very easy to work with!!! goes on sooooo smooth icon_smile.gif

in addition, my coupon made it half off!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 15 May 2010 , 12:58am
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpAt2am

duff is selling premade fondant at michaels now and his black tastes great and is very easy to work with!!! goes on sooooo smooth icon_smile.gif

in addition, my coupon made it half off!

FYI, if you have time to order it Duff's fondant is Fondarific with his label on it, so you can get a better price ordering it online.

BlessP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlessP Posted 15 May 2010 , 5:58am
post #10 of 14

You have to use MM/Chocolate fondant. I used a ganache to mix it with my marshmallow and I added corn syrup too. I added 1 oz of the black color paste from Wilton while the marshmallow is still warm from the microwave. Mine turn out really dark but I can taste the food color in it. I think it has something to do that the you added the color while it is still warm and the color will kinda cook into the mix, so it makes it more dark. But I think next time, I would change the amount of color to 3/4 of an oz and use a milk chocolate ganache instead of semi-sweet.

andreamen1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andreamen1 Posted 15 May 2010 , 6:11am
post #11 of 14

save time and stress just buy it

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 15 May 2010 , 6:55am
post #12 of 14

I have started to use the McCormack bottle of black food color in conjunction with starting the mixture off with quarter cup pf cocoa, and then the black food coloring really takes well. I no longer have rouble making black mmf also I found black cocoa powder and wow does that help enormously!

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 15 May 2010 , 1:03pm
post #13 of 14

I buy Satin Ice premade, but my cake shop hasn't carried it for a while. So I started to buy their chocolate Pettinice (tastes just like a tootsie roll, yummicon_smile.gif). I add a bit of blue and then the black. It really helps get a true black color, plus you don't need to add a lot of coloring. I use Wilton's gel colors.

BlessP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlessP Posted 15 May 2010 , 10:55pm
post #14 of 14

Yah, if I could buy it here without paying for shipping I would definitely buy it pre-made. But making it on my own will only cost me like $4 and I get 3.5 lbs in 1 recipe compared to spending almost $30 for the 5 lb pre-made Satin Ice(including shipping).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%