5 Out Of 5 Second Prizes,

Decorating By cakesbyben Updated 5 May 2010 , 3:26pm by KHalstead

cakesbyben Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyben Posted 5 May 2010 , 4:29am
post #1 of 7

hey guys, this is my first post and i just wanted to have a bit of a moan, and see what other people think about the situation.
i have recently endered my second cake show, yay, i love competitions.
but i have been going to defferent shows and compitions for the last few years, i have become quite familliar with the "local talent".
now we do have a lady in the area here in australia that does amazing work,(i will be the first to amit that, i have never seen anything like it), so i knew that i was not going to win first place.
but when i arrived at the show, i was the only compeditior to put cakes on , but i arrived early. so i placed my cakes and chatted with the ladies in charge for a bit then left with that nrevous feeling awaiting the judging.
so i waited all day at work to hear the news and went back to the show grounds after work. the longest 12 hours of my life, haha.
and all 5 entries that i entered in the show received second place, which to me is as good as first when up against lady that does the amizing work.

but much to my amazment, all of the work that she submitted was the exact same cakes that she entered in the nation show the year before, (and they all won. including grand chapion of state)

so i was a bit upset. not only were the reused, but they have already been awarded first prize on a copletely different scale of competiton. i had no chance.

am i being over sensitive, or do i have reason to be upset.
i think that if you have a cake and yopu know its a winner, makes something new to give the rest of us a chance,

what do you all think?

ps. i love this web site so i can talk to you guys about cake stuff, i think that mall my friends ar sick of hearing me talk about cake, haha

6 replies
dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 5 May 2010 , 1:23pm
post #2 of 7

I don't know how it is down under, but at the cake shows I've been to, the rules state that cakes that have won at previous shows cannot be entered again for judging.

myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 5 May 2010 , 1:29pm
post #3 of 7

Did the competition have rules that the cakes couldn't be used from a previous competition?

Congratulations on coming in second place.

I think for some people it's all about winning and will do anything to win. You have every reason to be upset. It takes the fun out of the competition when people do things like that.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 5 May 2010 , 1:33pm
post #4 of 7

It is what it is.

You said, "all 5 entries that i entered in the show received second place, which to me is as good as first when up against lady that does the amizing work."

If you aren't happy with that, you can keep trying and hope you find a competition that she hasn't entered in, or enter in another category that she isn't entered in. (i.e. beginner instead of professional, although I'd be happy with 2nd place in a professional category, over 1st place in a beginner category.)

ctinaw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctinaw Posted 5 May 2010 , 3:03pm
post #5 of 7

Discouraging yeah - but instead of worrying about whether her reuse of cakes is legal - take a nice long look at her cakes. Something is there the judges apparently like. Is it her technique? The style of cake? Very ornate? Modern? What is it about her cakes that fetches the prize year after year? See how you can improve yours for next year.

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 5 May 2010 , 3:17pm
post #6 of 7

Hi cakesbyben ~ WELCOME!! Be very proud of your ''FIVE'' 2nd place wins. Your cakes were put up
against proven champions. So look at all the talent you beat out!!! icon_smile.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 5 May 2010 , 3:26pm
post #7 of 7

I agree with both sides, It would get under my skin a bit to know that all she had to do was pull out some year old cake dummies and dust them off and she walks with FIRST place!!!! However, I agree that what's done is done and study her cakes and figure out what it is that's getting her the win.

techniques?
difficulty of techniques?
neatness of her work
modern designs
really ornate designs

what is it about them?

You obviously have talent if you placed second with all 5 cakes.........basically that says to me that if she wasn't there you would have received 1st in everything!!! Up the anti for next year!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%