Fondant Sticking To Cake

Decorating By lealea37 Updated 5 May 2010 , 9:02am by lealea37

lealea37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lealea37 Posted 5 May 2010 , 4:11am
post #1 of 5

i have not used fondant before so once i have kneaded it nd rolled it out ,when it comes time to cover the cake does anything go between cake and fondant to make it stick?

4 replies
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 5 May 2010 , 4:46am
post #2 of 5

You need to crumb coat the cake with either buttercream or chocolate ganache. I use buttercream. Let it crust, then cover it with fondant.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 5 May 2010 , 5:21am
post #3 of 5

Generally speaking you should ice your cake first, unless you live somewhere where people actually enjoy eating the fondant AS icing. Here's a thread I started about how you might be able to achieve a normal layer of buttercream underneath your fondant http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-673052.html

If you want to use the fondant as icing, you will still want something on top of your cake for the fondant to adhere to. Some people use preserves, or a simple crumb coat of buttercream icing. An ideal choice is ganache, if you are not opposed to some chocolate under there, because it gets very firm and so is a great support for your fondant.

There are some great tutorials here on CC--including some videos-- on how to apply fondant to your cake - I highly recommend you check them out as they may save you tons of time and effort! thumbs_up.gif. If you go to the top of this page and click on the little white "search" word you will also be able to search the forums for things like "ganache under fondant" etc...watch out, there is so much info here, you may get a headache! LOL.

Good luck and welcome to CC!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 5 May 2010 , 5:28am
post #4 of 5

I crumb coat with buttercream. Before I apply my fondant I use a pastry brush and apply a thin coat of sugar syrup.

lealea37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lealea37 Posted 5 May 2010 , 9:02am
post #5 of 5

thankyou so much helps alot icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%