Hazelnut Help

Baking By Gillicious Updated 22 May 2010 , 1:00am by jennbrownrigg

Gillicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gillicious Posted 4 May 2010 , 7:52pm
post #1 of 9

I am doing a wedding cake and have been asked to do a hazelnut filling. Is it better to do a straight hazelnut or a chocolate hazelnut filling? and i need something that will hold up (literally) so no mousses. I've looked at the recipes posted and am undecided does anyone have some brilliance they could share with me?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!
Gillian
(i'm going to do a chocolate cake as i figure what will best compliment the filling)

8 replies
7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 4 May 2010 , 8:02pm
post #2 of 9

Which one does your bride want - hazelnut or a chocolate hazelnut?
That Nutella is popular with many people.

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 4 May 2010 , 8:15pm
post #3 of 9

I do a chocolate buttercream with chopped toasted hazelnuts. Very good.

jennywenny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennywenny Posted 4 May 2010 , 9:42pm
post #4 of 9

The daring bakers did a filbert gateau with a hazelnut praline buttercream and the praline buttercream is just to die for.
http://thedaringkitchen.com/recipe/filbert-gateau-praline-buttercream
Alternatively you could do a nutella whipped ganache with caramel and chopped hazelnuts.

Gillicious Posted 4 May 2010 , 10:33pm
post #5 of 9

Which one does your bride want - hazelnut or a chocolate hazelnut?
That Nutella is popular with many people.

Well she said hazelnut and then i asked whether she mean hazelnut or chocolate hazelnut...so i'm waiting for her to get back to me. Thanks for your help guys...i know this shouldn't be rocket science for me...but i'm not into nuts so i honestly don't know which one will taste better! hahaha who doesn't like nutella!

gretch77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gretch77 Posted 4 May 2010 , 10:42pm
post #6 of 9

You could always add some hazelnut paste to your buttercream.

Gillicious Posted 21 May 2010 , 6:55am
post #7 of 9

Thank you soo much it is the 'nutella' style icing they would like. Now i'm second guessing a chocolate cake as a good pairing. Any suggestions on the best cake it goes with?

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 22 May 2010 , 12:26am
post #8 of 9

I second the praline paste in the frosting, especially if it is Italian BC... heavenly!

jennbrownrigg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennbrownrigg Posted 22 May 2010 , 1:00am
post #9 of 9

I make a chocolate hazlenut truffle filling by melting 2c. chocolate chips with 1/4 c. butter. I then add 1/2c. hazlenut flavour creamer. Then i let it cool until it is spreadable. It sets up firmly enough that it holds really well but melts in your mouth & tastes like nutella or ferrerro rocher! so yummy! It's good with a chocolate cake but I've also done the white cake and subsitute the hazlenut creamer for the milk in your recipe.
Good Luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%