Cake Stackers

Decorating By Katiebelle74 Updated 5 Feb 2015 , 3:00pm by AmberNada

Katiebelle74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiebelle74 Posted 4 May 2010 , 6:36pm
post #1 of 103

Do you have a cake stackers system? How do you like it? What designs have you done with it? I just ordered one and am excited about everythin it can do and how solid it seems. I would love to hear from others who have experience with it. How much of a deposit do you take to ensure it's unharmed return? Have you had any problems with getting all pieces returned? What info did you give the venue/caterer so they would know how to work the stand? Appreciate any and all info. on this!

102 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 May 2010 , 6:40pm
post #2 of 103

Nah, I'm not even tempted. Way too much $$. It would have to also bake the cake and ice itself for me to nibble at that.

Have you seen SPS? I can tip a cake and hold it with no slippage at all. Admittedly I can't turn it completely sideways or upside down, but I don't plan on doing that anyway. In fact when customers come to pick up a three tier cake, I always put my hand under the drum, tip it at a 30 degree angle and say, "See, it will be just fine for you to deliver it yourself." Of course they at first look horrified, then they calm down because they understand how secure the cake is.

And SPS is CHEAP!

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 4 May 2010 , 7:03pm
post #3 of 103

The video was cute but looking at the price for it I'm with Leah's it better do more than just hold up the cake!

CakesIMake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesIMake Posted 4 May 2010 , 7:03pm
post #4 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Nah, I'm not even tempted. Way too much $$. It would have to also bake the cake and ice itself for me to nibble at that.

Have you seen SPS? I can tip a cake and hold it with no slippage at all. Admittedly I can't turn it completely sideways or upside down, but I don't plan on doing that anyway. In fact when customers come to pick up a three tier cake, I always put my hand under the drum, tip it at a 30 degree angle and say, "See, it will be just fine for you to deliver it yourself." Of course they at first look horrified, then they calm down because they understand how secure the cake is.

And SPS is CHEAP!

I've actually read about the sps system that you use & I really would like to start using that, but ((this sounds really stupid I know)) the thing that worries me is having to get the cake a specific height otherwise it doesn't work.. weird I know icon_confused.gif

Debcent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debcent Posted 4 May 2010 , 7:51pm
post #5 of 103

with the cake stackers, I would have a hard time getting that ctr hole carved out nice in my cake

leah_s Posted 4 May 2010 , 8:10pm
post #6 of 103

Cakes, you've got a little leeway on the cake height. And besides, it's really not that hard to bake to 4" or close enough.

Katiebelle74 Posted 4 May 2010 , 11:48pm
post #7 of 103

I have to say this sort of surprises me..... I have seen posts about all the people who have already purchased the cricut cake machine, someone who is purchasing the 200 or 300 cake leveler?! (It's called a long bread knife and practice!) and many other very expensive things for cakes..... but no one out here in cake central land has the cake stackers? Delivering cakes in the summer in the south it will be nice to know they are very solidly supported.

oh and on the 4" thing.... I talked to them and asked for some support legs that are shorter in addition to the regular size so that if I have a cake design where one tier is short and another is tall etc.... I can customize the stand to do what I need and they SUPER cooperative about working with me and getting me all the pieces to have more flexibility.

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 5 May 2010 , 12:20am
post #8 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesIMake

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

And SPS is CHEAP!

I've actually read about the sps system that you use & I really would like to start using that, but ((this sounds really stupid I know)) the thing that worries me is having to get the cake a specific height otherwise it doesn't work.. weird I know icon_confused.gif

this is me too! if i have to get the scored ones to cut if i don't get it at 4" then i'd rather stick to the bubble tea straws.

sweet_honesty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_honesty Posted 6 May 2010 , 7:00pm
post #9 of 103

I watched that video and when she flipped the cake upside down I was in love. SPS is not available where I am and with the cost of shipping it would make more sense to get a single system. The versatility of that thing just blew me away. I think I just might order one and would love to hear about other people's experiences.

Katiebelle74 Posted 6 May 2010 , 11:28pm
post #10 of 103

yes I was really hoping to hear from people who had experience with the cake stackers system as I decided for me and my business it is the way to go.

Unfortunately I have not gotten any responses from anyone who has a cake stacker system. I really like that it is versatile and can be reconfigured multiple ways eliminating the need for multiple types of stands. I was sold on the set up for stacked cakes and using it with the center column construction for cakes with flowers in between tiers is a huge plus.

A French Pastry Chef I work for has a stainless steel stand that has center column construction and is not adjustable in height, does not do the other configurations, or work for stacked cake.... and he paid over 200 for the "French cake stand" (as he calls it). This stand will do that plus all the other things for not that much more in price. Worth the investment as far as I am concerned.

aemcd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aemcd Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:26pm
post #11 of 103

I too would love to hear from someone using this system. Just delivered a 5 tier cake that had to travel up and down an approx 60 degree incline for over 5 min. Needless to say the dowels didn't do the trick. Had to try to straighten best I could. The $$ and hassle of chasing it down after each cake would be worth it if the cake was as stable as they claim.

leah_s Posted 11 May 2010 , 2:27pm
post #12 of 103

I'm telling you aemcd, SPS could have handled that trip. For a 5 tier cake, probably less than $25.

Katiebelle74 Posted 11 May 2010 , 4:30pm
post #13 of 103

My cake stackers is supposed to arrive today! I am excited and have thought up many, many different ways to set up a cake on that stand. After I get it I am going to drill some holes in a dummy cake decorate it up and set it up in different configurations. After I do I'll post pics and info on what I think of it. I'll also make sure to post after I do my first cake on it. It may take me a little bit to get to the dummy cake though it is MAY after all!

aemcd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aemcd Posted 11 May 2010 , 4:36pm
post #14 of 103

Thanks for the input. I am going to have to try the SPS before I sink that much $$ into the cake stackers.
Katiebelle Be sure to let us know how it turns out!

Katiebelle74 Posted 16 May 2010 , 3:00am
post #15 of 103

I am going to do my first cake on the cake stackers system on the 22nd (one week from today) I will be sure to post a pic and my thoughts on how it went.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 16 May 2010 , 10:40am
post #16 of 103

That's one heck of an equipment deposit to have to charge the client to make sure you get it back!

yummymummycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummycakes Posted 16 May 2010 , 11:15am
post #17 of 103

Heck the though of having to put all those holes in the base board for the cake scares me! That is just more work........

Is the metal likely to contaminate your cake? If you cant stick wires into a cake directly they why would you be allowed to feed a cake onto a bunch of metal posts?

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 16 May 2010 , 11:52am
post #18 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiebelle74

I have to say this sort of surprises me..... I have seen posts about all the people who have already purchased the cake machine, someone who is purchasing the 200 or 300 cake leveler?! (It's called a long bread knife and practice!) and many other very expensive things for cakes..... but no one out here in cake central land has the cake stackers?

I don't have any, but the agbay and the cricut never leave your possession. You are trusting that people will care enough about your equipment to be sure to get all your little parts. Even with the deposit money coming back, it would be a big PITA to keep ordering missing parts....

For a special circumstance, maybe

Katiebelle74 Posted 16 May 2010 , 12:23pm
post #19 of 103

first of all no offense to anyone but this forum post was NOT asking IF YOU would purchase one....... I was asking for people who HAVE one to let me know how it was going for them.

Fine, well and good if it's not for you. Glad you are perfectly happy with other support systems hooray, enjoy, I'm glad other options are working for you. But that was not my question. There are quite a few threads about sps if I was interested in that I would have gone digging on here or asked thanks anyway I want a center dowel from top to bottom and some designs that sps does not allow for. But that was not what I was asking here. I am guessing that this means no one can answer the questions I did ask in this particular case.

I am not trying to debate which one is the best for you and your business and why. I just wanted feedback on this particular product from others who own it.

just so you know they do sell cake boards with the holes pre-cut in them.

YES it is a TREMENDOUS amount of pieces and I AM worried about getting them all back, only time will tell. I do have other stands with lots of pieces and when I take a cash deposit for them they all magically come back the next morning very promptly even though they have a couple days to return the stand.

the rods are stainless steel and food safe NOT WIRE.

There are designs I want to do that this stand will do but again I wasn't trying to debate it, just wanted to hear from others who have it.

Katiebelle74 Posted 16 May 2010 , 12:27pm
post #20 of 103

I did manage to find another thread though with someone who does own a cakestacker http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6809030-.html#6809030

MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 16 May 2010 , 12:48pm
post #21 of 103

Hi Katiebelle74! Congratulations on your new purchase! I am not a baker by profession and I would definitely consider purchasing one of these systems. (I currently use cake jacks, which I absolutely LOVE!) But then, I do cakes for friends and family, wherever venues allow homemade cakes and goodies. So if I bought Cake Stackers, I wouldn't have to worry so much about getting all of the part back. I see you have a cake due on the 22nd. I look forward to hearing about your experience using it, and hope that it's easy for you to work with AND for getting back all of your pieces. icon_smile.gif

I have my niece's Christening cake due on the 23rd, and have to drive over 2 hours with it. Cake jacks have been great to work with; but I'm sure I'll be thinking of cake stackers next weekend! icon_wink.gif

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 16 May 2010 , 1:34pm
post #22 of 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiebelle74

first of all no offense to anyone but this forum post was NOT asking IF YOU would purchase one....... I was asking for people who HAVE one to let me know how it was going for them.

Fine, well and good if it's not for you. Glad you are perfectly happy with other support systems hooray, enjoy, I'm glad other options are working for you. But that was not my question. There are quite a few threads about sps if I was interested in that I would have gone digging on here or asked thanks anyway I want a center dowel from top to bottom and some designs that sps does not allow for. But that was not what I was asking here. I am guessing that this means no one can answer the questions I did ask in this particular case.

I am not trying to debate which one is the best for you and your business and why. I just wanted feedback on this particular product from others who own it.

just so you know they do sell cake boards with the holes pre-cut in them.

YES it is a TREMENDOUS amount of pieces and I AM worried about getting them all back, only time will tell. I do have other stands with lots of pieces and when I take a cash deposit for them they all magically come back the next morning very promptly even though they have a couple days to return the stand.

the rods are stainless steel and food safe NOT WIRE.

There are designs I want to do that this stand will do but again I wasn't trying to debate it, just wanted to hear from others who have it.

Okay I don't think the attitude is necessary icon_confused.gif
No one was bashing you and your choice of using it.
If you are posting on this forum then you are going to get all sorts of answers from all sorts of people, even those that don't actually HAVE this particular system.

sweet_honesty Posted 16 May 2010 , 2:42pm
post #23 of 103

I don't think the stand being made of metal is really an issue. I guess it does look kind of industrial. But if you think about it...you cook in stainless steel pots all the time and you wouldn't think twice about wrapping a bit of cake in some aluminium foil to take home. Floral wire is a whole different issue.

As for boring the centre hole through all your cakes.. I contacted the lady at cakestackers about that. She says the centre post in the video is the old model. The new one has a smaller diameter so you can just slide them on. I guess it's just to wait and see when Katiebelle does her cake.

Katiebelle74 Posted 16 May 2010 , 5:36pm
post #24 of 103

sorry didn't mean to come off with an attitude. I had just really hoped to hear from someone who had one..... kept seeing an email saying someone replied to the thread, I'd sign on thinking this time there maybe there would be some insight from someone who had one, but each time it was just another - oh no I wouldn't buy that response. It's been a l-o-n-g week sorry if I sounded grumpy. Guess I am one of the first to bite on this product. I think it is a great idea and has a lot of possibilities.

as for the hole through the center I was planning on using my wilton "cake corer" to make a hole in the center. Mostly because this weeks cake which is going on it is a 5 tier light mango mousse cake with flowers in between which will stand a bit over 3 feet tall and I don't want the filling oozing out from the middle so I am going to "core" the cake and pipe buttercream around that inner hole as well as the outer edge for stability purposes.

Katiebelle74 Posted 16 May 2010 , 5:44pm
post #25 of 103

I have done the cake before, first one was 4 feet tall and 6 tiers on the wilton center column stand. The wilton stand was wobbly and the plastic stand discolored and had to be thrown away.

The second time was on a wood cake stand and was 7 tiers tall and again was about 4 feet tall but the wood stand did not allow enough room between tiers to really arrange the flowers well AND who ever made the stand obviously does not bake cakes because the plates were odd sizes 15, 13, 11, 9, 5 which I did not care for.

Furthermore it was not made well and I was very unhappy with the cake on it. So that's 80.00 on the wilton that had to be trashed, 120.00 on the wood one that I am retiring for strictly cupcake weddings so 200.00 gone on stands that don't cut it. 3rd try Cakestackers!! I'll let you know how it goes.

Just was sooo hoping to get tips from another cakestacker owner before I do this baby this week!

Katiebelle74 Posted 16 May 2010 , 6:00pm
post #26 of 103

thanks malibu I've gone through my fair share of cake support systems/cake stands and after all that this one looks promising. I can make it solid and NOT wobbly for the TALL cakes and have way less stress over stacked cakes. Not to mention hanging it from the ceiling or doing unusual designs. So if it can do the job of a center column system, a stacked cake support system, an over sized cake decorating turntable, a fondant cutter etc.... I'll give it a whirl. In between my cake turntable and the two crappy cake stands I had already spent 300.00 wish I had just seen this first!

So you like cake jacks? I saw those too and wondered how well they worked. I HATE cutting dowels. Not that I need to anymore!

Katiebelle74 Posted 23 May 2010 , 10:28pm
post #27 of 103

I am relaxed and calm the cake went great! I LOVE my cake stackers support system and am very glad I bought it.

The cake yesterday was for an indian couple who were celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary. The design and flavor were both Indian themed. The cake was vanilla with cardamom syrup, filled with mango mousse, fresh mango and home made mango jam and iced in cream cheese icing. The clients were very happy with everything and especially impressed with how smooth it went.

The cake stackers system was definitely a key part of that. I ordered some custom pieces from cake stackers. Namely extra spacers and 10" threaded rods and extra 6.5" threaded rods, so that I could create 8" separations between tiers 4" for cake and 4" for flowers. I also added a 4" separation at the bottom to make a "cake riser" out of flowers.

The cake was 3 feet 8 inches tall and was very stable not at all wobbly and all was locked in place. During the event they had Indian dancing including young boys doing a routine (very lively!!) and the cake was RIGHT by the edge of the dance floor which made me extra glad the cake was on this particular support system!

I did take a deposit for the stand and the client returned ALL of the stand this morning with no problems. I did provide a box, clearly typed instructions and communicated with the event planner and waitstaff on site. I told them NOT to wash it and to put it directly in the box (to help prevent any extra chances of loosing pieces. It worked out beautifully.

I highly recommend cake stackers. I tried to add a picture but it is too high resolution . will try again later.

sweet_honesty Posted 24 May 2010 , 3:15pm
post #28 of 103

Glad to hear that the cake went well. It's extremely pretty and excellently done. I'm trying to picture the actual construction though. I can kinda envision the 10 inch threaded rods to give that 4 inch space for the flowers but what were the extra 6.5 inch ones for?

Katiebelle74 Posted 24 May 2010 , 3:51pm
post #29 of 103

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1684605.html

here is the cake picture
thanks for the compliment sweet_honesty

Katiebelle74 Posted 24 May 2010 , 4:06pm
post #30 of 103

I added a picture of the cake stand set up. the 6.5" threaded rods oddly enough make 8" center posts when you add the spacers and threaded spacers to it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%