Baking A Sheet Cake In A Weird Oven

Baking By maenad Updated 6 May 2010 , 1:46am by Ren715

maenad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maenad Posted 4 May 2010 , 5:57pm
post #1 of 7

I need to make a sheet cake for an event but have a problem - I only have a small oven.

I do have a veggie roasting tray (12x18 inches) which is exactly the size and shape of a sheet cake pan. The veggie tray is made to fit into the small oven right from side to side.

If I make a sheet cake in such a small oven, will there be problems with air circulation or cooking times? Should I let the cake cook longer or shorter?

Also, I was planning to just use the chocolate zucchini cake recipe that I know best. Are "sheet cake" recipes tailored in some way, or can I just toss any old batter into the pan?

Finally, this is a REALLY long shot, but worth trying... it's not possible to make Ikea-style Almondy cake as a sheet cake, is it? I assume not... but it would be great!

Thanks so much!

6 replies
SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 4 May 2010 , 6:10pm
post #2 of 7

Welcome to CakeCentral!

Every oven is different. Every baker is different. Many people here on CC say never open the oven door till 5 mins before the cake is done. But that doesn't work for me.

I have baked almost every cake I've made in the past 23 years in the same small electric oven. My 12x18 half sheet fits, just barely, with about 3/4" space on all sides. I guess I have adapted.

When I first began baking in this oven, one side of the cake would always be higher. Then I've learned to rotate the cake pan every 11-12 minutes, and the cake rises evenly and well and gets done in about 25-28 mins. I've never had a cake "fall" from opening the door. Test for doneness after 20 mins or so, to get an idea how far you have to go. In my oven, I test after 22 mins, at the 2nd rotation of the pan. If it's gooey, I add 5 mins. If barely wet, I add 2 mins. Then test again. Add more time if needed.

Also, try to make sure the temp is accurate by using a separate thermometer to test it.

Sheet cake recipes are the same as other cake recipes, just more batter. Altho I do like to use a firmer cake when stacking.

Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

maenad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maenad Posted 5 May 2010 , 10:32pm
post #3 of 7

Thank you so much, that's exactly the advice I needed!

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 5 May 2010 , 10:42pm
post #4 of 7

will the flower nail trick help at all with this?

Aurora_333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aurora_333 Posted 5 May 2010 , 11:00pm
post #5 of 7

SugarFrosted
Thank you for the information. I too, have problems with my cakes being higher on one side. Definately going to try this trick. I love CC and all the good advice.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 6 May 2010 , 1:27am
post #6 of 7

It's my pleasure to help icon_smile.gif
After all, that is why we are here, isn't it...to help each other?

Ren715 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ren715 Posted 6 May 2010 , 1:46am
post #7 of 7

I'm going to try this when I bake my sheet cake tomorrow. I HATE my oven's size (but like the oven itself). It's brand new. We bought the same size as our broken oven but the inside dimensions are much smaller. icon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%