Need To Make A Square Wedding Reception Cake

Decorating By cakes4ck Updated 4 May 2010 , 3:15pm by KHalstead

cakes4ck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes4ck Posted 3 May 2010 , 7:18pm
post #1 of 4

I am making a cake for my nieces wedding reception. She already had a small reception with a cake at her destination wedding. I had originally thought of doing a square cake and cupcakes with a monogram. But, thinking it will take a lot of time. Now think I will make a cake like her wedding cake and add some sheet cakes. I need enough for 300 people. I have a 14" and 12" square pan. So, what do you recommend for cake sizes? Wedding is Sat. and I need to start baking tonight.

3 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 May 2010 , 1:56am
post #2 of 4

Do you have other pans? If not you will need to buy 10", 8" and/or 6"
The other option is to bake up the sizes you have and cut into those sizes.
If I remember right you should get 98 servings from one 14"x4" sq (two cakes put together w/filling). That should help you figure out how much cake to bake up. I like the looks of tiers 4" different in size; ie: 14, 10, 6.

cakes4ck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes4ck Posted 4 May 2010 , 2:59pm
post #3 of 4

thanks. I wasn't sure which sizes to use to get the right look. I have only done round stacked/tiered cakes. I figured I would need to buy some more pans which is ok as I will use them later.
I also thought of using my sheet pan to get the right sizes and cut them. Depends if I can get to the store tonight.
Was really looking forward to this a couple months ago, but now not so much. Just got back from a trip and way too much going on. But she wants me to do the cake. So, I am as a gift.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 4 May 2010 , 3:15pm
post #4 of 4

what about alternating square and round tiers? If you've already got round pans that might be an option!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%