Gold Luster Dust

Decorating By cakebaker1957 Updated 4 May 2010 , 8:03pm by ladyonzlake

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 3 May 2010 , 1:11pm
post #1 of 16

Hi i need some advice on how to use the luster dust, I need to do a gold tree limbs going up 2 cakes that are stacked, Can this be mixed into Butter cream / and or fondant and will it look gold?? I painted some fondant once and it did ok, but i would like to see if i could get it into the fondant and then shape like tree limbs and place on the cake . Instead of trying to paint them once there on the cake. Thanks for your input

15 replies
cakebaker1957 Posted 3 May 2010 , 8:11pm
post #2 of 16

Any One!

buttercuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercuppie Posted 3 May 2010 , 8:19pm
post #3 of 16

The bakery I use to work for did this once...they put the limbs on the cake and then painted it gold once it was on (gold luster w/ almond extract)...it did come out amazing.

HTH

jlh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlh Posted 3 May 2010 , 8:28pm
post #4 of 16

I've actually wondered about that same technique. I make ice cream cakes, and wanted to "save a step". I finally ruled out mixing luster dust into the fondant, because it seemed like it would take so much dust to evenly distribute throughout the entire volume of the fondant. If you give it a try, please post back. Thanks.

cakebaker1957 Posted 3 May 2010 , 8:39pm
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh

I've actually wondered about that same technique. I make ice cream cakes, and wanted to "save a step". I finally ruled out mixing luster dust into the fondant, because it seemed like it would take so much dust to evenly distribute throughout the entire volume of the fondant. If you give it a try, please post back. Thanks.

I will, im thinking im going to have to put the fondant on first then paint the gold on, I have done that before and it was ok, I was being lazy, trying to save time.

cakebaker1957 Posted 3 May 2010 , 8:42pm
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttercuppie

The bakery I use to work for did this once...they put the limbs on the cake and then painted it gold once it was on (gold luster w/ almond extract)...it did come out amazing.

HTH

Did they use fondant or Butter cream on the cake and for the cake limbs

buttercuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercuppie Posted 3 May 2010 , 8:51pm
post #7 of 16

it was a fondant covered cake and for the limbs they actually used white modeling chocolate but I'm sure it would have come out the same if they used fondant

cakebaker1957 Posted 4 May 2010 , 1:32pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttercuppie

it was a fondant covered cake and for the limbs they actually used white modeling chocolate but I'm sure it would have come out the same if they used fondant

I have to use BC she doesnt like fondant on her cakes.So i think the fondant would stick to the BC

Aurora_333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aurora_333 Posted 4 May 2010 , 1:46pm
post #9 of 16

I think if you mix luster dust with buttercream it would get clumpy or maybe not blend well. I don't know for sure. I have never tried it. I just think it would.

AnotherCreation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCreation Posted 4 May 2010 , 2:02pm
post #10 of 16

I have mixed the silver luster dust with b/c. It didn't clump but it was just like coloring the b/c grey. It was flat, not shiny at all.

cakebaker1957 Posted 4 May 2010 , 2:06pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCreation

I have mixed the silver luster dust with b/c. It didn't clump but it was just like coloring the b/c grey. It was flat, not shiny at all.

Wonder if you could take a little water or something and just brush the design to give it a little shine?? Or steam it like the do on the food challenge show.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 4 May 2010 , 2:18pm
post #12 of 16

No it doesn't work mixing it with BC. You can use piping gel but you have to use a lot of it!

cakebaker1957 Posted 4 May 2010 , 2:28pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyonzlake

No it doesn't work mixing it with BC. You can use piping gel but you have to use a lot of it!

Mix the luster dust with piping gel? Sorry, or brush it onto your design?

ladyonzlake Posted 4 May 2010 , 3:57pm
post #14 of 16

You mix it in with the piping gel (it uses a lot of luser dust).

You can also pipe with royal icing and then brush on it.

If using royal icing I would tint it "gold" or "yellow" and the paint the gold luster onto it.

cakebaker1957 Posted 4 May 2010 , 7:50pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyonzlake

You mix it in with the piping gel (it uses a lot of luser dust).

You can also pipe with royal icing and then brush on it.

If using royal icing I would tint it "gold" or "yellow" and the paint the gold luster onto it.

Oh ok, i hate RI im not good at making it, Can you buy it premade at Michaels???

ladyonzlake Posted 4 May 2010 , 8:03pm
post #16 of 16

Really? RI is so easy to make. I'm not sure if you can get it premade at Michales or not.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%