New Business - Need Advice On Business Plan/customer List

Business By veghead Updated 7 May 2010 , 6:22pm by cakesdelight

veghead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veghead Posted 2 May 2010 , 6:11pm
post #1 of 4

I'm a stay at home mom with 2 young children and I'm unfortunately currently going through a divorce. I'm lucky to live in a very nice neighborhood in Maryland and have been hoping to someday soon open a small cake business. Many people have told me that they would be interested in buying my cakes as I have been making them for several years for close friends parties and various activities my kids have been involved in. I'm currently working on a business plan and would very much like to send a mass email out to everyone I know asking if they would like to pre-order any cakes starting Aug. 1. I'm trying to get an idea of what my customer base might be to start. Does anyone have any ideas on my best approach. Is a mass email acceptable? I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks so much!

Kerri

3 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 May 2010 , 7:13pm
post #2 of 4

Instead of just an email asking for orders, why not start a monthly newsletter via Constant Contact where you can offer news, coupons, specials, new design ideas, reminders of upcoming holidays, etc? Looks more professional. I used to send newsletters to over 400 people in one shot. You can send one a month or one a day for the same monthly price (something like $15 a month? dont' quote me).

I loved this marketing tool! I sent it to clients, to other wedding vendors, even to other caterers and cake makers! Got great feedback. Other wedding vendors (like venues) would keep it handy and show their clients "Debi is running a special on her catering this month... give her a call."

veghead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veghead Posted 7 May 2010 , 5:26am
post #3 of 4

I love that idea! Thanks!

cakesdelight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdelight Posted 7 May 2010 , 6:22pm
post #4 of 4

That a GREAT idea! what program do you use to make this newsletter? TIA icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%