Bride Had A Terrible Idea

Decorating By ladycakes85 Updated 2 May 2010 , 7:42am by Mrs-A

ladycakes85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladycakes85 Posted 2 May 2010 , 12:40am
post #1 of 10

A couple months ago a couple came into the grocery store bakery that I work at to order a wedding cake. They flipped through the display book we had and of course wanted to create their own spin on things. I didn't personally take their order, but was listening to my co-worker help them. After literally, probably a half hour (standing at the cake book prevening any other customers from looking/ordering) they have an "idea".

The bride didn't like the tiered cake prices so she opted for a full sheet cake, scored with black and white polka dots alternating in each square. Then, a half sheet cake, scored with rainbow polka dots alternating in each square. And an 8 inch round cake with rainbow polka dots around the side of the cake and 4 pink roses on the top border.

When my co-worker got done and told me about it, I thought it was a joke. Do you ever wanna ask the customer if they have actually thought something through? Haha.

Yesterday the cake was to be made and I told my co-worker that she was going to be making the cake since she took the order (and honestly, I didn't wanna be held responsible for such an ugly cake). Let me tell you, it was the ugliest, most mismatched thing i've ever seen. Those pastel pink roses on the border of a cake with red, green, yellow, blue and orange polka dots. Eeek!

I was hoping and hoping I wouldn't be the one who had to retrieve the cake and hand it out, but alas.. I was stopped by them. I drug my co-worker along with me because she is the type who always pushes things off on others. Well, needless to say, the bride and her mother were very unhappy with the cake. It was "nothing like what she wanted". I don't know exactly what she had pictured, but my co-worker had reviewed the order with her. I wish everybody would bring a sketch or a picture they found of inspiration. Instead, they got a deep discounted cake. The rest of the day I wondered to myself what the guests at the wedding thought of the cake, and was just glad it didn't come back on me icon_smile.gif

All that to say...
I wish people would leave things up to the creative "professionals"! icon_wink.gif

9 replies
Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 2 May 2010 , 12:55am
post #2 of 10

So, do you think she tried to stack them when she got to the venue?

Shalott Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shalott Posted 2 May 2010 , 12:56am
post #3 of 10

Oh my. Oh my, oh my! Do you know what colours they were using for the wedding? What you described sounds, frankly, pretty nasty.

ladycakes85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladycakes85 Posted 2 May 2010 , 1:04am
post #4 of 10

I don't know what she was planning on doing! The other girl did offer to fix/change what she could to make it right but the customer said "Well, I don't want it to look like it originally messed up".

I have no idea what the wedding was like but I pictured the bride dressed as rainbow brite with the groomsman and bridesmaid all wearing rainbow colored dresses and vests. Ha!

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 2 May 2010 , 2:03am
post #5 of 10

ugh, well she got what she ordered, right? wondering why she got a discount when it was her design?

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 2 May 2010 , 3:35am
post #6 of 10

did you take a picture for cake wrecks, just imagine if she came across her cake on that site!! oh well, Its what she ordered.

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 2 May 2010 , 3:46am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcakes

did you take a picture for cake wrecks, just imagine if she came across her cake on that site!! oh well, Its what she ordered.

Great idea!!!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 2 May 2010 , 6:35am
post #8 of 10

I agree that the design should be left to the professionals. The ugliest cakes that I've ever had to make were the ones "designed" by the customer icon_lol.gif . I had an order for a NC Tarheels cake. They wanted the NC logo on top with little tarheel "feet" on both the top and bottom tiers. I did a great job on the cake but it was just tacky. Everyone that saw it at first glance assumed it was a baby shower cake because of the little feet. icon_lol.gif

I'm not a fashion designer and couldn't sew to save my life so I don't even try to design my clothes. Same should apply to people that order cakes.

When I worked at the grocery store this happened so many times. People would have these great "ideas" and then complain when they came to pick up the cake that it wasn't at all what they wanted and end up getting a huge discount.after going and complaining to the manager. I finally started having them sign the order form when placng their order so that when they picked up their cake we could pull out that order form and show them that they got exactly what they ordered. That put a stop to loosing money on those type of cakes.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 2 May 2010 , 6:38am
post #9 of 10

[quote="Karen421"]So, do you think she tried to stack them when she got to the venue?[/quote

This is exactly what I thought when I saw the size cakes she ordered icon_lol.gif

Mrs-A Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs-A Posted 2 May 2010 , 7:42am
post #10 of 10

gosh i wish there was a photo of them....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%