$10 Tip??

Decorating By me_mysister Updated 1 May 2010 , 12:55am by mamawrobin

me_mysister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_mysister Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 5:13pm
post #1 of 9

Okay, I charged a customer $90 for a cake and she ended up giving me $100. The cake has not been delivered (will be tomorrow). My husband took the payment (he works with the client's husband) and my husband says that they insist on paying the $100. I don't know if the client meant that as a tip or if she's thinking I undercharged her? But I will be giving her the change in an envelope when the cake is delivered tomorrow. Just wondering if any of you have experienced this and what you would do??

Thanks!

8 replies
Goonergirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goonergirl Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 5:32pm
post #2 of 9

I would guess that it's a tip. I get them all the time. icon_smile.gif

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 5:38pm
post #3 of 9

I think if they insist on giving it to you, you should graciously accept it. It's a tip.

juststarted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juststarted Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 5:58pm
post #4 of 9

I don't sell cakes, but as a client if I paid $100 for a $90 cake and insisted paying that, I will not expect any change back.

dnaboo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dnaboo Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 7:09pm
post #5 of 9

When you deliver the cake you could present them with a coupon icon_smile.gif

$ off a specific amount
% off next order

be sure to include an expiration date. I'm more apt to use a coupon if I know it expires.

~Dina

me_mysister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_mysister Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 8:29pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks so much for the replies. I think I will contact the client to make sure that it was a tip because it was her DH that handed the money to my DH. If it is a tip I will gladly thank her for it.

juststarted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juststarted Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 9:51pm
post #7 of 9

I think that's the most appropiate thing to do thumbs_up.gif

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 10:11pm
post #8 of 9

We've had people give us more than the set amount and we naturally make change. We've had people say that no please keep it, then we know it's a tip, but not until after we offer to give them their change. If you give it to them in an envelope. and they had intended it as a tip, you could be offending them, so offer them the cash and let them either accept it or tell you to keep it.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 1 May 2010 , 12:55am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by me_mysister

Thanks so much for the replies. I think I will contact the client to make sure that it was a tip because it was her DH that handed the money to my DH. If it is a tip I will gladly thank her for it.

I agree. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%