Gum Paste Hydrangeas...centers Don't Stay Attached

Decorating By cathyscakes Updated 19 Mar 2011 , 2:12am by MPH32

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 10:57pm
post #1 of 6

I love to make hydrangeas, but they never stay very secure. I make the petal and a ball for the center with a wire, and thread the flower onto the center with egg white, and hang them upside down to dry. When I try to wire bunches together, they come apart, and I have to use royal icing to secure the centers back together with the petal, just wondering what I am doing wrong, any hints for better results.

5 replies
Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 11:09pm
post #3 of 6

Try drying a small bit of the paste the night before and then thread the petals threw the center as normal. Then make sure you pinch the paste to the wire on the bottom. I also use gum glue which is tylose and water for attaching my gumpaste.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 11:21pm
post #4 of 6

yeah... make the centers ahead of time... then use your tylose glue... very sparingly (sp?) I mean a little tiny bit of glue.... also when you thin the flower... don't thin the middle too mcuh... leave it more meaty...

BTW: I have 200 to do.... on my 47th already wanna help? hehehehe

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 1:17am
post #5 of 6

Great hints everyone, next time i'll let the centers dry first and pinch, I don't usually do that, I think I'm thinning the middle too much too, they are too fragile. And wow, 200, I thought my 20 were alot, with the hassles I've been having with them. I'd love to help and then I could watch how you do it.

MPH32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MPH32 Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 2:12am
post #6 of 6

I used some melted chocolate in the same color as the gum paste in center then placed wired hydrangea center through. It really sturdied up the hydrangea center and was barely noticable since same color.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%