Where To Buy Funky Alphabet Cookie Cutters?

Decorating By sarascakecreations Updated 10 May 2010 , 10:04pm by Maria925

sarascakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarascakecreations Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 8:26pm
post #1 of 14

hello all...

I want to buy some more funky cookie cutters in the alphabet for when I am making names out of fondant.

http://www.cakewonderland.com.au/assets/images/%27s%20Bed.jpg

I like the letters in this picture but I don't need to buy the exact same ... anything similar would be good. I tried ebay but only plain ones... any ideas?

Sara

13 replies
CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 8:44pm
post #2 of 14

global sugar art.com
the are called funky tappids or tappits... search funky...
if you do buy them get both the small and big letters! You will love them!

Jannie92869 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jannie92869 Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 12:48am
post #3 of 14

CakeandDazzle...I love your response. I bought upper and lower case........and can't get them to work? They are stuck inside...they loose their shape trying to come out...I poke holes in them if I try to use a toothpick?

Any Suggestions? LOL!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 1:07am
post #4 of 14

Slice-heaven.com also carries them. I just got my order from there. Great ship time, great customer service, comparable prices.

To learn to use them, just do a search on here. There's tons of threads. I'm planning on trying the cling wrap method this weekend when I try them for the first time.

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 1:11am
post #5 of 14

When i use them i roll it through my clay roller on setting 2... i use satin ice and knead it with shortening.... after i roll it i put it on wax paper and rub my hand over it to smooth it to the wax paper.... i let it sit alittle and it gets kinda hard maybe 10 minutes... then i use them... press hard and they should stay connected to the wax paper... peel the extra around the letters and the centers of the letters... let get harder... then lift the wax paper to flip them over (easier then trying to pick them up) and let them dry on the other side.... this also works with wilton fondant... and most people use gumpaste i dont.... i really hope this helps i think i explain things kinda bad though!!! edna has a youtube video though if my directions dont work!

Jannie92869 Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 1:30am
post #6 of 14

Thank you for your response. I also saw the video you were talking about. I was using straight fondant...I wasn't waiting the 10 minutes...I was trying to do it as soon as I rolled it out. I'll try again in the morning.

Thanks!

Jannie92869 Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 6:11pm
post #7 of 14

Update.....I did a practice run with my funky tappits letters this a.m............and it was perfect! I had the letters all the time but couldn't get them to come out properly! LOL!

Difference...I watched the video as mentioned above.....this time I used gumpaste instead of fondant on a shortening greased counter. The letter came out and was still on the counter as she shows in the video. I didn't have to tap them out or anything.

So..I will either use gumpaste OR try the previous suggestion and let the fondant sit about 10 minutes to dry a bit. Just wanted to check back in and let you know it worked.

sarascakecreations Posted 10 May 2010 , 4:10am
post #8 of 14

thanks so much for all the tips!

so i am in canada... ontario to be specific, do either slice-heaven or global sugar art ship to canada??

what is this video you speak of lol? i too used to roll out fondant and cut them out immediately but maybe i will try the wax paper idea and wait 10 min also.

thanks!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 10 May 2010 , 5:39am
post #9 of 14

How to work with the tappits

And yes, I think global ships to Canada.
Edna icon_smile.gif

sarascakecreations Posted 10 May 2010 , 5:13pm
post #10 of 14

thanks so much edna! i have seen so many of your videos and i learned how to make fondant bows thanks to you!!!!!

does anyone know if i order from globalsugarart if i will get charged fees at the border?

sara

cheatize Posted 10 May 2010 , 5:51pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarascakecreations

thanks so much for all the tips!

so i am in canada... ontario to be specific, do either slice-heaven or ship to canada??

what is this video you speak of lol? i too used to roll out fondant and cut them out immediately but maybe i will try the wax paper idea and wait 10 min also.

thanks!

I'll send an email and find out about Slice of Heaven for you.

cheatize Posted 10 May 2010 , 6:13pm
post #12 of 14

Woo, she's quick! Here is her reply:
"I do ship to Canada!!! Sometimes my shopping cart bugs out. Have them fit their address in the boxes provided even though they are designed for the USA addresses."

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 10 May 2010 , 9:40pm
post #13 of 14

Thanks Sara!... I know that global does ship international!
Edna icon_smile.gif

Maria925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria925 Posted 10 May 2010 , 10:04pm
post #14 of 14

I purchased mine from Sugarcraft as they were cheaper than other sites I found. I'm awaiting their arrival this week and I can't wait. Love all the tips you all have provided icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%