Postponing An Event..should I Freeze?

Decorating By adoubleen Updated 30 Apr 2010 , 3:35am by adoubleen

adoubleen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adoubleen Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 4:36pm
post #1 of 7

There has been a winter storm in my city and I have to postpone a fundraiser that was scheduled for this saturday. The main problem is that spent half my day yesterday baking cakes for it.

The new date will probably be 3 weeks to a month from now, so my question is how long will those cakes last in the freezer?

I would really prefer not to waste them, but i don't want to serve people junk either.

What would your advice be for after they come out of the freezer? I have heard things about condensation making decorating hard.

Help!

6 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 4:54pm
post #2 of 7

are they already iced and decorated?? if so, what type of icing, fondant, and colors and type of decorations did you use?

I ate the top tier of my wedding cake after 1 yr. in teh freezer and it tasted amazing!!

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 5:50pm
post #3 of 7

I just froze a fondant covered cake (with Michele Foster's fondant) and my customer raved about the taste (it was a friend and the actual date was never discussed and so the cake was made a week before the event!). I think as long as you wrap it up properly it should be fine. Just make sure you remove any gumpaste decorations if you have any! By the way...this is one time that I'm glad that I'm in MB and not AB!!

adoubleen Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 8:58pm
post #4 of 7

Right now they are just unfrosted un-anything cakes.

So in a month when i take them out, should i let them defrost completely?

Geechigirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Geechigirl Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 11:52pm
post #5 of 7

I think that you will be ok. They don't have to thaw completely.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 12:22am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrycakes

I just froze a fondant covered cake (with Michele Foster's fondant) and my customer raved about the taste (it was a friend and the actual date was never discussed and so the cake was made a week before the event!). I think as long as you wrap it up properly it should be fine. Just make sure you remove any gumpaste decorations if you have any! By the way...this is one time that I'm glad that I'm in MB and not AB!!

I'm glad to know that I can freeze a cake covered with MFF. I have a 10 inch left over from a birthday party and we're sick of cake. I'll freeze it and take it to our next pot luck at church icon_biggrin.gif

adoubleen Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 3:35am
post #7 of 7

thank goodness! I'm really glad it won't go to waste. althouth i will probably use the 8" for mothers day next weekend

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%