Cricut Cake Cutting Machine

Decorating By ONEWAY Updated 30 Apr 2010 , 4:16am by TheresaXXX

ONEWAY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ONEWAY Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 5:49am
post #1 of 7

Help! I have a cricut expression machine for scrapbooking, cricut now has one for cakes, watched a video on cricut cake machine, why buy this one in addition to cricut expressions. on the video they said all cartidges can be used on the cricut cake. I say buy an extra blade for the machine I already have and an extra cutting mat (just to use for cakes) and save alot of money, I think Hobby Lobby said cricut cake machine was about $400. Watched an Ultimate Cake Off decorating show (I watch all the cake decorating shows, love them) and one of the teams was using a cricut cutting machine, as far as I could tell it looked like the cricut expressions machine, not the new cricut cake coming out. So is there any one out there that has used their cricut machine for cake decorating and can tell me why a cricut cake machine is needed in addition to what I already have??? please help, I've been on the computer for two days doing research and then I thought who else could help - fellow cake decorating pals.....thanks any thoughts and help appreciated....

6 replies
rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 7:06pm
post #2 of 7

There are many people here that have the regular cricut or the expression and they have used it for cakes and will continue to do so.

cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 7:27pm
post #3 of 7

Hi oneway! This has been discussed a lot on here. The housing of the cake blade will not fit on the Expression. Some people have chosen to continue using their expression while others like the food safe features of the new cake model.

These are the links to threads that came up when I Googled "Cricut, Cake Central" http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=cricut,+cake+central

Towards the bottom of this blog, there are several entires where a bakery compared the expression and cake model side by side and pointed out the enhancements on the cake model. http://www.cuttingedgecakeart.com/blog.php

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 7:51pm
post #4 of 7

I would think the only reason to purchase the cake model would be if you were worried about the food safe aspect. I didn't have one to begin with, so I chose to purchase the cake model. People have been using the expressions for a while now... I'm not aware of anything in particular that could be harmful with the expressions model.... so if I already had the expression to begin with, I probably wouldn't buy the cake model.

cakeville82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeville82 Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 8:01pm
post #5 of 7

Just wait about 6 months and get one on Ebay for 1/2 price.
There's going to be a lot of frustrated scrappers trying to give those big red paper weights away after they realize there's more to being the next Ace of Cake then cut and paste.

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 4:08am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeville82

There's going to be a lot of frustrated scrappers trying to give those big red paper weights away after they realize there's more to being the next Ace of Cake then cut and paste.

Great idea! So I may get a cricut after all!!!

TheresaXXX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheresaXXX Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 4:16am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeville82

Except that all they have to do is get a regular blade and mat and use it like the regular Cricut.

It's the same machine, just "food safe" and comes with the deep cut blade and a mat without sticky stuff on it. And since it's red, it's prettier than the original Cricut.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%