Fondant

Decorating By stacy007 Updated 28 Apr 2010 , 2:20pm by mamawrobin

stacy007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacy007 Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 2:07pm
post #1 of 5

i have always used icing to decorate but would love to use the fondant, however i have wondered if it has a taste? I bought some from wiltons to use just as a bow on a cake and it taste terrible! I cant imagine eating a whole piece of cake like that. One of my other crafts is clay, so I know I would love using the fondant.

4 replies
KHincak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHincak Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 2:18pm
post #2 of 5

If you make the fondant from scratch you can always add a flavor to it (clear flavoring) or you can make a white chocolate modeling dough and fold it into your fondant for a creamy flavor. A purchased fondant you may want to try is Fondarific, they have introduced a buttercream flavor.

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 2:18pm
post #3 of 5

I make MFF, and use it all the time. Some people love it and others peal it off to eat the cake underneath. I'll eat a tiny bit, too sweet for me. It is what a person is used to, I guess.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 2:18pm
post #4 of 5

I use Michele Foster's Fondant (white chocolate version) on 99% of my cakes because the taste is awesome. You can find the receipe here on cc in the "most saved" receipes. Be sure to follow the receipe EXACTLY as it's written. It's a high quailty fondant that taste great and won't break the bank. Some swear by Marshmallow Fondnat but I never have any luck with that for some reason. I have added modeling chocolate to the MMF and made it work for me.

The one time that I was forced to use Wilton fondant I mixed it with white chocolate modeling chocolate and it was really good. Anyway, there are a few options for better tasting fondant.

Like I said, 99% of my cakes are covered with MFF because people actually eat the fondant. They don't eat just the cake and icing and leave the fondant on the plate. thumbs_up.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 2:20pm
post #5 of 5

icon_lol.gif I guess the three of us posted at the same time but at least we agree thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%