Wedding Cake Base Idea,...

Decorating By jennywaldon Updated 26 Apr 2010 , 9:11pm by GrandmaG

jennywaldon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennywaldon Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 8:44pm
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone!
I have this idea i want to try,...I am doing my best friends wedding in 2 weeks,..im doing it all,...decor stage,..both cakes and im the photographer,...whew! I have this idea for her cake,...it will be 4 tiers one bogus,..lol I am having my husband take thick plexi glass and building me a square clear base that i want to turn upside down and fill with her color of tulle filled with lights,...of course hell cut out a notch for the cords in the back,...and i thought i might do the middle layer as a glass layer a complete box filled with the tulle and lights again and then have final two layers on top,...is this a stupid idea? Im concerned about what he uses to glue it together with to with stand the weight!

4 replies
deeb173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deeb173 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 8:52pm
post #2 of 5

Cool idea. I would be concerned too with the clear box...I'm not a builder but I think there would need to be some kind of brace in the corners to withstand the weight and it not cave in on it's self. But maybe you could get some wooden blocks(same height as base), paint it the color of the tulle and/or wrap a piece of the tulle around it. Then glue gun or place them in the corners of the base to give it some stability and it not look bad.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 8:58pm
post #3 of 5

You can do the same thing with glass blocks.

deeb173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deeb173 Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 9:03pm
post #4 of 5

even better....I didn't know they made glass blocks in different sizes icon_smile.gif

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 9:11pm
post #5 of 5

Glass blocks are the way to go. You can take then back after you're done with them if nothing happens to them. Menards has them and I'm sure other home builders shops will too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%