Wire For Top Of Cake

Decorating By bntbushnell Updated 25 Apr 2010 , 10:38pm by cakesrock

bntbushnell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bntbushnell Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 3:25pm
post #1 of 3

where do i buy the wire, for decorations on top of the cake,,,and what kind is it.... i have a hobby lobby and micheals here

2 replies
Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 9:42pm
post #2 of 3

You use floral wire, found in the floral department at Hobby Lobby or Michael's, but you never stick the wire directly into the cake. It is definitely NOT food safe and it contains lead. You stick a cocktail straw, regular straw, or bubble tea straw into the cake and the wire into that straw to protect the cake (and whomever is eating it) from exposure to the wire. I usually pipe some Candy Melts into the straw to anchor the wire into place.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 10:38pm
post #3 of 3

I use 18 or 20 guage, depending on how much you want it to lean (like a bouquet effect or if you want it sticking straight up). And if you want a bouquet, I would suggest you put all the wires into one straw and use chocolate or RI (I found choc best) to hold in place.

To insert the wire into the gumpaste object, I have tried a couple of different methods and recommend heating the wire for about 15 seconds and then inserting. If you are doing stars or a cut-out figure, then I would recommend just doing the cut-out thicker. I have tried cutting out 2 and glueing them together and it did not work well. HTH! Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%