Micro Air Bubbles! Arrrrrrghhh!

Decorating By Aedans_Cakes Updated 23 Apr 2010 , 11:04pm by Joyfull4444

Aedans_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aedans_Cakes Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 10:37pm
post #1 of 3

I have a serious air bubble issue.

I have made a couple of MMF covered cakes and some (but not all) of the MMF get super horrible micro air bubbles. The bubbles are super tiny (so you can puncture them with a pin), but they make my fondant look like acne! Just look at the pic!

Why is this happening and how can I prevent it. I have tried playing around with the fondant consistency (more PS, more shortening, etc), but that doesn't seem to do it. And, now matter how much I knead they just cannot be gotten rid of.

It seems to happen more often with darker colors...like reds, blues, and greens. Do you think that could be it? It also seems to happen when I am trying to roll out a larger amount. Or, am I mixing it incorrectly from the start?

Please help! I definitely had one of those "crying in the kitchen" moments last night!
LL

2 replies
didavista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didavista Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 11:02pm
post #2 of 3

I don't know why it does that, but I had that issue too. Now I only use MMF for quick accent pieces, if I want to cover a cake I use MFF. I think it is way easier to work with and consistent every time.

Joyfull4444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joyfull4444 Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 11:04pm
post #3 of 3

Did you crumb coat or thinly frost your cake beforehand? I'm no expert on MMF fondant but have read a few comments here and there that you'll end up with air bubbles if theres not a good crumb coat on the cake beforehand.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%