Home Bakers, Where Do You Store Display Dummies

Business By Sparklycake Updated 22 Apr 2010 , 10:02pm by sweetcakes

Sparklycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sparklycake Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 9:01pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone,

I'm a home baker and I'm building up my stock of display cakes for Wedding Fayres but running into a wee problem.... where do you store them. 10 boxes will literally take over my guest room.

Would it be okay to put them in the attic, or would summer heat and winter weather affect them. I'm in Ireland, so the climate is wet and cold mostly, but we can have a few hot days in the summer (when we all go mad and get roasted!)

5 replies
dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 9:50pm
post #2 of 6

you can get plexy glass... I have them in my china cabinet... lol no more room there... the china is boxed so the cakes can fit.. I also had some out in a open shelving unit but they get yellowish so I don't reccomend it... I will check again caue I need to know how to store them also lol

Sparklycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sparklycake Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 8:39pm
post #3 of 6

How big is your china cabinet, lol.... they defintely won't fit in there. Does extreme temperature affect them is really what I'm asking, but I know the answer is yes.... Think I will have to clear out under the stairs and use that as a storage space.

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 8:42pm
post #4 of 6

I'm hoping my 19 year old son will move out shortly so I can use his room. icon_biggrin.gif Added bonus from not having teenage boy around: when I buy food, it might actually be there for me to EAT IT!!!! thumbs_up.gif

I only have a couple dummies right now and they are in the built-in china cabinets in the dining room.

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 8:53pm
post #5 of 6

I have three 6" shelving units in a spare bedroom and am able to store 24+ dummies on them. I cover them lightly in plastic to keep the dust off and that is it.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 10:02pm
post #6 of 6

My decorated dummies are on display in my nice dining room, theres 6, much to my DH dislike!! then i also had blank dummies that i use to show differant stacked combinations but he had me bag them up and put them in the loft, but thats easy access i just go get them if im having a consult.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%