Palm Trees

Decorating By cupcakelady64 Updated 27 Apr 2010 , 11:40pm by Jeep_girl816

cupcakelady64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakelady64 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 8:54pm
post #1 of 7

I'm making a "luau" cake and I need to make a palm tree. What's the trick to keep the palms from weighing down and eventually breaking off the trunk?

6 replies
drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 9:52pm
post #2 of 7

i imagine there are a lot of ways to do it but when i did mine, i made a core of brown fondant around a wooden skewer. then i inserted the wired fronds into the core and put the whole thing in a narrow jar/glass to support the fronds while the core dried. then i took my strips of fondant (cut with the wavy edge of the pme ribbon cutter) and wrapped them around the core which reinforced the top part where the wire fronds were inserted (and then dried again). all my trees held nicely.
diane

casme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
casme Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 3:06am
post #3 of 7

Or you could use rice paper fronds dyed green.

saramachen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saramachen Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 7:33pm
post #4 of 7

When i did mine i wrapped brown fondant around a bubbletea straw and pushed the fondant down inside the straw a bit. Then i made my leaves from gumpaste on wires and was able to poke the wires into the fondant that i pushed into the straw to keep them in place. I left the bottom of the straw bare and hollow for 3.5 inches so i was able to push them all the way down into the cake. The travelled well like that.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 7:56pm
post #5 of 7

I jacked mine up with toothpicks, skewers and Paper Towel until it dried.
LL

kitty122000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kitty122000 Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 2:39am
post #6 of 7

I used gumpaste for the leaves and let them dry completely, then connected them to a fondant covered pretzel rod with green candy melts

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 11:40pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty122000

I used gumpaste for the leaves and let them dry completely, then connected them to a fondant covered pretzel rod with green candy melts

Ditto. I think I might have used a 50/50-ish gumpaste-fondant mix though. Done it a couple times and works great! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%