Graduation Cake.

Decorating By maryblausey Updated 22 Apr 2010 , 12:16am by cheatize

maryblausey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryblausey Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 7:59pm
post #1 of 8

I want to make a graduation cake (hat) for my boyfriend. When I practiced the other day putting fondant on the top half of the graduation cap(motorboard I think it's called)-I couldnt get it to stick. (I think it rolled the fondant out too thick!) Anyway, what else can I use for the motorboard besides cardboard and fondant?

7 replies
linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 8:06pm
post #2 of 8

Just made one of these last week (go to my photos to see it). For the mortorboard I cut a thin piece of cardboard (1 ply) square to fit over the cake "cap" portion". I first covered one side (the bottom) and then flipped it over to cover the other side. I put Crisco all over each piece of fondant and that made it stick to the cardboard.

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 8:17pm
post #3 of 8

Just an FYI, its referred to as a "mortarboard" since it resembles the boards that masons carry mortar on.

Matt's Fun Fact for the Day icon_smile.gif

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 8:36pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks Matt - apparently I can't spell (or type very well) as I see I wrote mortorboard icon_redface.gif

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 8:49pm
post #5 of 8

haha, yes I figured you had just mistyped yours

Shan8789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shan8789 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 5:34am
post #6 of 8

I agree with Matt, Crisco should work great. Maybe if you're wanting something edible you can frost some graham crackers together in the same shape and let them dry. Once they're dry you can do a thin layer of frosting again and the fondant should stick to that. icon_smile.gif

maryblausey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryblausey Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 10:26pm
post #7 of 8

I guess none of us can spellicon_smile.gif LoL!
Thanks for all the great tips. Shan I really like your idea with the graham crackers! I might try thaticon_smile.gif

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 12:16am
post #8 of 8

I think a big square cookie would work, too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%