Slouching Cake Fix?

Decorating By eccl1-12 Updated 20 Apr 2010 , 3:53pm by eccl1-12

eccl1-12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eccl1-12 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 7:34pm
post #1 of 16

Hi all,

This is a picture of my first 5 tier wedding cake. I supported the daylights out of it and sadly it still was sort of slouching, especially by the time the couple got around to cutting it. Thankfully most of the people at the wedding had never seen a cake like it except on tv, and did not know any better, but I look at it and see the problems.

I am wondering what the trick is to making a cake this big without it slumping. Would an SPS system do it? Or is there something else I am missing? Once again, I had dowels all over the place as straight cut as I could and a dowel down through the middle. Any input would be hugely appreciated!
LL
LL

15 replies
eccl1-12 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 7:35pm
post #2 of 16

sorry- didn't mean to put the same pic twice!

eatdessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatdessert1st Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 7:47pm
post #3 of 16

I think it's an AMAZING cake! You did an outstanding job on it icon_smile.gif

Melanie Mc.

HobbyCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HobbyCaker Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 7:48pm
post #4 of 16

Can't help with the slouching, too much of a novice. But wanted to let you know this turned out amazing! I love all the detail that makes it so personal. I have two sons in the Military, so I am sure the bride and groom were just be blown away! Like I said in the other thread, it did turn out AWESOME!

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 7:54pm
post #5 of 16

Awesome! You did a great job. The swords are wonderful even if they did almost drive you insane (or maybe especially because they almost drove you insane LOL)!

eccl1-12 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 7:56pm
post #6 of 16

Thank you- you are too nice. this is one of the better pics; by the time they got around to cutting it, it had gradually leaned further to the right, I was getting really nervous! The tall tier is in this pic just kind of wiggly up the side. Not as straight as I'd hoped.

eccl1-12 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 8:00pm
post #7 of 16

by the way, hobbiecaker- just want to say a big Thank you to you and your family for the service! The Marine that this cake was for just returned from Afghanistan, much to the relief of all of us. It is no small thing to have family in the Military these days, and we all appreciate it and hope for their safe return!

cakesage Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesage Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 8:11pm
post #8 of 16

I hope that someone can help us with our cakes slouching. I made a two-tiered birthday cake for my sister-in-law over the weekend and I had the same problem. I used bubble tea straws for support. I wondered maybe if it has to do with the cake not being firm enough?

Your cake is beautiful. If this is only your first wedding cake, then watch out all cake decorators in your area! Be like those marines, few and PROUD. thumbs_up.gif

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 8:20pm
post #9 of 16

First the cake came out beautifully! Secondly sps is your friend! icon_smile.gif
Keep caking

cakesage Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesage Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 9:12pm
post #10 of 16

I hope that someone can help us with our cakes slouching. I made a two-tiered birthday cake for my sister-in-law over the weekend and I had the same problem. I used bubble tea straws for support. I wondered maybe if it has to do with the cake not being firm enough?

Your cake is beautiful. If this is only your first wedding cake, then watch out all cake decorators in your area! Be like those marines, few and PROUD. thumbs_up.gif

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 9:40pm
post #11 of 16

Your cake is awesome!!! For your own piece of mind read

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-603925.html

on the sps system it is wonderful! and you will never have a slouching cake again!!!

2508s42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2508s42 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 1:23am
post #12 of 16

Do you use a level? You need to make sure each cake is completely level, and make sure the dowels are totally level to each other. I mark one dowel height, then band them all together and cut them with a band saw. That way they are all the same height.
Also, let each cake settle with the filling before you put on the fondant.

The cake is GORGEOUS! Most people aren't going to notice what you see. Don't be so hard on yourself. Your talent is obvious. The hat and the swords are AMAZING.

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 5:11am
post #13 of 16

I looked and I looked, and I'm just not seeing the slouching you are talking about.

It's an absolutely fabulous cake. Very creative, beautiful design, clean work, and I particularly love how successfully you mixed shapes and heights of the different tiers.

bmoser24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmoser24 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 5:35am
post #14 of 16

What kind of filling did you use on that deep 2 tier?? and how thick of filling...just thinking if it could be sliding to the right instead of leaning....BTW beautiful cake!!!
I cant see it either...

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 2:26pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesage

I used bubble tea straws for support. I wondered maybe if it has to do with the cake not being firm enough?

In a tiered cake it doesn't really have anything to do with the cake, it's all in the supports. You could build a tiered cake with Angel food cake, as long as you have the right supports.

My first thought is that one of the dowels was a little shorter than the others and caused it to lean. Did you measure one and cut the rest to the same height?

eccl1-12 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 3:53pm
post #16 of 16

bmoser24- Thanks- The filling I used was actually also the frosting, about the same texture as buttercream. I didn't use too much because the flavor of the particular recipe is fairly strong. But I did have a bit of a problem with the top tier because I had put just a bit too much liquid in that last batch of frosting and it slumped a good bit as soon as I put the fondant on. I made the bad side the back. icon_smile.gif

leily- I did measure one and cut the rest from that as best as I could. The problems I was running into with that was that I would start the cut it the right place, but by the time I got through the thick straw, I had slanted. The band saw idea from 2508s42 sounds good- I usually avoid power tools as much as I can, but I may have to break down.

I am also going to look into SPS. sounds like a good thing. Maybe a birthday or Christmas request..... Thanks all for your input and compliments- I feel better icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%