Wedding Cake

Baking By ashleyj Updated 19 Apr 2010 , 2:32pm by mamawrobin

ashleyj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashleyj Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 12:50pm
post #1 of 6

Asking for help/advice from experienced wedding cakemakers! I usually do birthday/special occ cakes but have been asked to do a wedding cake.

Size is 14/11/9. I usually use the WASC recipe or cake extender w/modifications and have always had success. I thought w/larger tiers I would need something w/more stability so I baked a 14x2 pound cake last night just to see how it would come out.

I was not happy w/the results. It looked puny to me. It pulled away from the sides and did not rise like my other cakes do. It also tasted kind of bland but then again there was not filling or icing yet.

So my question for you is this the way it's supposed to look? Should I be using 3-in high pans instead? I just thought the 3-in pans once filled would be too high and look to big on the plate when served.

Or do you suggest I go w/the WASC recipe? Those cakes seem "fuller" to me but I want to make sure they will be durable for stacking. Thanks for any help you can give me!!

5 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 12:54pm
post #2 of 6

whatever you use for your other cakes will be fine for stacking a wedding cake. you don't need a more sturdy cake for stacking. It's your support system (dowels, straws, SPS) that supports the upper tiers, not the cake itself.

I'm a straight out of the box mix baker and no problems with stacked wedding cakes.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 1:01pm
post #3 of 6

WASC works fine for stacked cakes. If that's what you're used to and what your customer has tried, then that's what will probably work best for the wedding cake.

The only thing you really need for the larger tiers is a cooling grid that's large enough, or a cookie sheet with no edges to use to flip the layers over. Also, I've found that the baker's joy spray with the flour really helps with getting big tiers out of the pan.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 2:10pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

whatever you use for your other cakes will be fine for stacking a wedding cake. you don't need a more sturdy cake for stacking. It's your support system (dowels, straws, SPS) that supports the upper tiers, not the cake itself.

I'm a straight out of the box mix baker and no problems with stacked wedding cakes.

I'm curious. When you say that you're "a straight out of the box mix baker" does that mean you don't add anything except eggs, water and oil to your cake mix?

Himee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Himee Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 2:25pm
post #5 of 6

I too am a straight out of the box kinda girl. Maybe add a tweak here or there but I love the taste and they hold up great for me. I know that a couple of of cake stores in town also use box mix for their products. I will do from scratch if someone asks for a specific recipe but any other time its box. I do however make my own BC. I dont do can unless a specific kind is requested and even then I really dont like too. Each to his own method I say

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 2:32pm
post #6 of 6

When I make cupcakes I bake straight from the box because that is what my kids like. They're light and fluffy and soooo good icon_smile.gif I'm gettin' hungry just thinking about them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%