Styrofoam Wedges For Topsy Turvy Cakes.

Decorating By Kiddiekakes Updated 25 Apr 2010 , 11:45pm by adven68

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 2:02pm
post #1 of 9

I have seen some Fantastic topsy turvy cakes on here in the last few weeks and days and in the description they say they used the strofoam wedge system.I know what that is but my question is ...

Can you buy the wedges (If so where?) or do you have to cut them yourself from styrofoam?

Do you put a long central dowel down through the entire cake?

Laurel icon_smile.gif

8 replies
Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 7:10pm
post #2 of 9

I haven't done one of these personally, so I'm sure there's someone out there with better info, but I know I read in a thread before that you can buy the styro, and cut it into the size/angle you need for your wedge, cover it for food safety, and use it that way. Also, I remember that the whole cake was dowelled for stability. I'm interested to read what others who have done this have to say. HTH.

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 8:42pm
post #3 of 9

My Dh has a shop full of "big boy tools", so he was able to cut wedges for me from a sheet of styrofoam I bought at Michael's. Or, you can buy round dummies and cut them on a diagonal. Some of the big cake dummy companies can cut wedges for you (like Dallas Foam).

Kiddiekakes Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 12:20pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks everyone..I will get hubby to cut me some from round dummies!

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 1:05pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

I have seen some Fantastic topsy turvy cakes on here in the last few weeks and days and in the description they say they used the strofoam wedge system.I know what that is but my question is ...

Can you buy the wedges (If so where?) or do you have to cut them yourself from styrofoam?

Do you put a long central dowel down through the entire cake?

Laurel icon_smile.gif

when I make my topsy turvy cakes....I use the wedges...I cut them myself from cake dummies...but I do know that foam place in Dallas will cut any specified shape for you.
It does get messy to cut them...so I make sure they are clean and free of any little bits of foam before I use them on my cakes. I always make the hole through the middle of the foam before placing it on the cake becasue if you drive the dowel through the foam, it is guaranteed that a piece of foam will come loose and end up in the cake below it. But you have to "test" it and see at which angle you want the hole to be .
I always use fondant, so placing a clean piece of foam directly on the fondant is not an issue. I think I would wrap it in plastic if if I were using buttercream.
I usually dowel straight through the middle of the bottom tier, wedge, middle tier & wedge with a couple inches of a pointy dowel sticking out of the top.
I make a hole in the cake board of the top tier and place it on top of the dowel....this way I can travel with the top tier off and easily place it on when I get to my destination. Topsy turvys are pretty wobbly when they are that high!

Kiddiekakes Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 1:25pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks Adven68...That is the info I was looking for...say...do you think Bronwen webbers Caddy Wampus cake stands are a good investment or not? I like her topsy turvy stands that Caljava sells but wonder if it is more of a pain to cut holes in the cakes for the posts or not.Your thoughts..Pic attached...

Laurel thumbs_up.gif
LL

adven68 Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 4:41pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

Thanks Adven68...That is the info I was looking for...say...do you think Bronwen webbers Caddy Wampus cake stands are a good investment or not? I like her topsy turvy stands that Caljava sells but wonder if it is more of a pain to cut holes in the cakes for the posts or not.Your thoughts..Pic attached...

Laurel thumbs_up.gif

I've never used it....although I see they use it on the challenges...I found this thread on it with some info....maybe you can pm the op....
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=635575&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

personally....I'm not crazy about cutting a hole in the center of my cakes...but, on the other hand....using 4-5 plastic tube dowels probably takes away about the same amount of cake......I also think the slant might be a little drastic on her stand...it does make a statement, though. How much are they?

Kiddiekakes Posted 21 Apr 2010 , 6:10pm
post #8 of 9

I think they are $89.00 plus shipping.

adven68 Posted 25 Apr 2010 , 11:45pm
post #9 of 9

well...considering I just forked over $200 bucks for a cupcake stand...that's not so bad.. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%