Airbrushing

Decorating By MrsTina Updated 20 Apr 2010 , 9:00pm by hsmomma

MrsTina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsTina Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 1:52am
post #1 of 19

Is there a way to get an airbrushed look on fondant, without using an airbrush?

18 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 2:21am
post #2 of 19

What look are you going for?

xandra83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xandra83 Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 2:27am
post #3 of 19

they have some airbrush cans at Hobby Lobby that you can use to do the entire cake with and if you want to do finer airbrushing, use a small straw on the end of it. Kind of like what WD40 comes with.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 2:32am
post #4 of 19

You won't get the same look as an airbrush with the spray cans.

MrsTina Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 2:42am
post #5 of 19

It's a celestial cake. The bottom of the cake is a dark blue, sort of wavy & above that is 3 different shades almost cloud like patterns blending together as if like camo.

Nacnacweazel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nacnacweazel Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 2:43am
post #6 of 19

The spray cans are a disaster. Don't even look at the spray cans. Unfortunately, the way to get that airbrushed look is with an airbrush. That's why I bit the bullet and put out the money for one.

Ivy383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ivy383 Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 2:55am
post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacnacweazel

The spray cans are a disaster. Don't even look at the spray cans. Unfortunately, the way to get that airbrushed look is with an airbrush. That's why I bit the bullet and put out the money for one.

Is there a specific kind of airbrush machine or do I buy a regular one and make sure I use the food colors only?
Thanks

Nacnacweazel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nacnacweazel Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 3:03am
post #8 of 19

You, typically don't want to use a "hobby" airbrush. A lot of times, the tips are only for paint and will not spray the food colors correctly. Besides that, they will often have parts, and sometimes lubricants, that are not food safe. The safest bet is to go with a food safe airbrush. Almost every cake/bakery supply store will carry them. You can, of course, order them online through any of the cake supply sites.

MrsTina Posted 18 Apr 2010 , 3:09am
post #9 of 19

Darn! I was hoping there was some kind of pouncing tecnique used with a sponge that would work! Oh well, I guess I have get one then. Thanks for your input & information!

MrsTina Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 2:02am
post #10 of 19

I am looking into getting a MASTER airbrush system model G23. Has anyone ever used this kind & had good luck with it?

oceanslayer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanslayer Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 2:31am
post #11 of 19

I bought this airbrush system off of eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220590614269

I am really happy with it. It came with the compressor, 2 types of spray nozzles, hoses, and airbrush colors. I think the price is pretty reasonable, too. Only problem was there weren't any kind of directions on setting it up. Only a top-level blueprint that didn't show the parts that I had questions about. Oh well, my oh-so-talented husband was able to figure it out for me and now I play with it all the time.

Ivy383 Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 3:29am
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsTina

I am looking into getting a MASTER airbrush system model G23. Has anyone ever used this kind & had good luck with it?

I was thinking about getting the same system. I hope you get a reply soon. icon_smile.gif

MrsTina Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 3:23pm
post #13 of 19

Thanks for your your help! icon_smile.gif

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 10:46pm
post #14 of 19

I've got the Master Airbrush G23. I didn't think I would use an airbrush much so I didn't want to spend alot of money. I Think I spent under 60.00 and it came all complete with the cleaning brushes, 4 colors and the compressor. Ready to go.
It was super simple to learn how to do. Fairly easy to take apart and clean and reassemble. Overall, I've been pretty impressed. Glad I didn't have to spend much to get an airbrush that I could work with.

Definitely make sure you follow directions and clean it properly RIGHT after you use it. One time I used it and washed it out before running water through it...had to take apart the whole thing and try to clean out the dried paint with a toothpick! Washing it out isn't good enough...you must run plain water through it to get all the paint out. But, I think that is true for most airbrushes.

The purple flower (with black base) in my pictures was the first cake I used my airbrush on. Bride just wanted subtle purple shading on the background of the cake. It was easy to control to keep the purple a subtle shade. Went really smooth. Now, I find any excuse to use it. I use it all the time on cupcakes.

Hope that helps those of you wanting to order the Master G23. Think I ordered mine on Amazon.

MrsTina Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 5:46pm
post #15 of 19

Good to know, thanks hsmomma!

Manotas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Manotas Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 6:04pm
post #16 of 19

I would definitely going to look into buying the Master Airbrush G23. Is there anything else I need to order with it? Are the color easy to find in craft stores like Michales?

This is why I love Cake Central, I have a question and somebody already asked it and is already answered. You guys rock!!!

Ivy383 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 7:27pm
post #17 of 19

Thanks hsmomma! I went ahead and ordered my airbrush for $57.99 free shipping on ebay.

Here is the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-CAKE-DECORATING-AIRBRUSH-w-Compressor-4-Food-Colors-/200455507435?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eac144deb

Ivy383 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 7:29pm
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manotas

I would definitely going to look into buying the Master Airbrush G23. Is there anything else I need to order with it? Are the color easy to find in craft stores like Michales?

This is why I love Cake Central, I have a question and somebody already asked it and is already answered. You guys rock!!!

I have been researching and I think that the best deals for colors that I have found is on ebay. icon_smile.gif

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 9:00pm
post #19 of 19

The one Ivy just posted a link to is the exact kit I bought.
I order my colors from Bakery Crafts. But, I believe you have to have a Tax Id to order through them...

One thing to keep in mind is that you can mix the colors to get the shade you want and you can also add the Pearl (white) color to make a shade lighter etc.

Have fun with your new toy!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%