Where To Buy Fondant? Or Should I Make It Myself?

Decorating By GypsyQueen Updated 23 May 2010 , 6:40pm by andreamen1

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 10:37am
post #31 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by debster

mamawrobin........I have a bulk food store by me and they sell it I found out by the pound, I have to go check now and see how much it comes out to be if it's a deal or not.

Please get back to me on that if you will. It maybe worth my time to check into that myself. Thanks thumbs_up.gif

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 11:08am
post #32 of 40

will do!!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 11:47am
post #33 of 40

I buy gelatin in bulk at an amish store. Dirt cheap! (I use it a lot for the gelatin stuff!)

I also only use MMF. Just yesterday I mixed MMF and chocolate clay to see how it worked (too lazy to make a new batch of fondant) it worked out perfectly too! I like the flavor better. icon_biggrin.gif

mamawrobin Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 11:52am
post #34 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

I buy gelatin in bulk at an amish store. Dirt cheap! (I use it a lot for the gelatin stuff!)

I also only use MMF. Just yesterday I mixed MMF and chocolate clay to see how it worked (too lazy to make a new batch of fondant) it worked out perfectly too! I like the flavor better. icon_biggrin.gif

It does make a better tasting fondant. I agree. I've got to search around my neck of the woods for gelatin in bulk. Would a health food store have gelatin? I have one of them very near me is why I'm asking.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 12:00pm
post #35 of 40

I would think they would sell it - call first to see!

mamawrobin Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 12:06pm
post #36 of 40

I'm calling today. I wanted to know before I called if this was something that they might carry, I didn't want to embarass myself icon_lol.gif . I've never been in a health food store so I don't really know what to expect. Thanks.

GypsyQueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GypsyQueen Posted 23 May 2010 , 5:12pm
post #37 of 40

Right after I posted this I went ahead and made the regular MMF. It was the easiest of the recipes, and didnt require a lot of ingredients. I also did it because it was cheap so if I messed up for the first time oh well. Everything went smoothly, and I actually did it! It worked great...especially for someone making it for the first time, and has never even made a cake before! I had to rush decorating and putting it together at 2am but the cake tured out and was a huge hit! I cant wait to make something else now. The MMF was much easier to make then I expected. Rather than mixing everything on the counter I just added the powdered sugar to the bowl and mixed until it became fondant. Then once it was not so sticky I moved it to the counter. Next time I will precolor the MMF since mixing it after is pretty hard to get a bold color.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1679196
LL

Katie1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie1985 Posted 23 May 2010 , 5:36pm
post #38 of 40

GypsyQueen, that turned out great! Congrats!

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 23 May 2010 , 6:06pm
post #39 of 40

I use the MMF, it's cheap, easy to make and taste great! Look up glycerin it's a product of pork. Which a lot of people do not eat. Gelatin is also made from pork. So I would ask the customer, if they have a issue with pork. I also plan on trying the butter cream fondant. Using corn syrup, powder sugar, shortening, along as vanilla flavoring, and meringue powder. Here is a link that is all about fondant. I got it from youtube, hope this helps.

http://www.piece-a-cake.com/how-to-make-fondant.html

andreamen1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andreamen1 Posted 23 May 2010 , 6:40pm
post #40 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyQueen

Thank you everyone! I didnt think anyone replied so I almost didnt even check back. I will do that then. I just dont know where to buy it because Michaels and Walmart only have the Wilton brand. I watched videos on youtube of people making the MMF...it looks so messy but eventually I want to try it when I know what I'm doing.

Just want to make sure that you know that I give MFF (Michele Foster's Fondant) not MMF (marshmallow fondant) a thumbs_up.gif . Personally I've never had good luck with the MMF but MFF is awesome icon_biggrin.gif

mama on the recipe it calles for cream can you tell me what kind of cream i want to try it out i always make mmf with the mff do you have to put it in the micro to soften it up?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%