Karo Syrup?

Baking By cakesrock Updated 16 Apr 2010 , 12:59pm by cakesrock

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 3:47am
post #1 of 6

I want to make the true black fondant in recipes, but cannot find Karo syrup. Is plain molasses a substitute?
TIA icon_smile.gif

5 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 3:48am
post #2 of 6

NO. You need LIGHT CORN SYRUP. Doesn't have to be "karo". Karo is the brand name of the light corn syrup that most people use.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 3:51am
post #3 of 6

Can you get BeeHive corn syrup, or glucose syrup?

Corn syrup vs. glucose syrup:

http://www.cheftalk.com/forum/thread/17638/glucose-vs-corn-syrup

HTH

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 4:00am
post #4 of 6

OMGoodness, NO do NOT use molasses! Molasses has a very strong taste. It's wonderful in gingerbread and on biscuits, but would be horrible in fondant!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 4:24am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

OMGoodness, NO do NOT use molasses! Molasses has a very strong taste. It's wonderful in gingerbread and on biscuits, but would be horrible in fondant!

icon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gificon_lol.gif When I said "NO" in my reply to the OP this is exactly what I meant. icon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 12:59pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

I actually saw using molasses as a substitute for Karo recommended on-line somewhere (E-How, maybe) ? Again, it emphasizes that you can't trust everything you read on the internet! Yes, I agree the taste is strong and I dont' appreciate the taste either!
Thanks for the info! icon_smile.gif
Terri

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%